Print Thread
Rate Thread
#16651 10/08/07 04:34 PM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hi All: Need some help- just got a 36 buick 8, to keep it from going to the scrap yard. I think it would look good in a t-bucket, any idea's. Okay here I go. 1.Where do you get the cam reground or a new one?? 2. Besides EGGE is there a source for internal parts. 3. Does anyone have a shop manual for it?? 4. Was there ever a daul or triple carb setup for this engine?? or do I have to build a ramlog type?? Any info is welcomed Norm

Norm
#16652 10/08/07 07:01 PM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
See

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Buick/1936/index.htm

http://www.buickclub.org/

The first step is to determine, from the casting numbers and serial numbers, exactly which engine you have. Buick made several versions of the inline eight, depending on whether it was intended for a Special, Super, Century, Roadmaster, or Limited. The big one is 320 cid.

Your quickest route to a shop manual and specifications for your engine is probably a Chilton or Motor manual in your local public library. These manuals are usually available in automotive swap meets and are fairly inexpensive. You can also find original shop manuals and parts books for sale by literature vendors, but they will be more expensive.

For Buick parts, see

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/nos/36parts.htm

Buick parts and literature vendors also advertise in *Hemmings Motor News*, and you can find many of those ads online.

In the early 1940s Buick sold a factory dual manifold for these engines. You can also find factory and aftermarket single-four-barrel manifolds from the 1950s, but they are, i believe, more rare.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

#16653 10/08/07 07:39 PM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Don: Thanks I've just got it unloaded from the back of my truck today, will start on #'s tomarrow. guess i'll have to get a chilton that is older than the one I have. Thanks Norm

Norm
#16654 10/08/07 08:39 PM
D
D Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Many cam grinders will regrind vintage cores. I have used many such cams in the last 40 years. Crane has done a Flat head mopar cam for a wooden boat for me with wonderful results. That was probably 20 years ago although every time i see the guy who maintains the boat he tells me how nice it works. I have had 331 Hemi cams customm reground, Poly cams and some experimental cams made as well. Even some very severe service cams for special applications that we arent free to discuss.
NOW you will get a couple of hundred experts telling you that it is a bad idea and how the cam must be welded or bult up and how that will ruin the core (All of which is pure bunk because of a total lack of understanding how cams are made and ground or reground) so brace yourself. Grinders who service the tractor puller industry are a good source. I use Canadian Chrome Crankshaft in Toronto for my specialty expeimental grinds as he has a good cam lobe library. Comp cams also offers that service and Lunati used to. Schneider used to do it too I think.
I believe one year the Buick straight eight had a four barrel I think if I remember rightly it was the first application of the WCFB Carter carb. I think it says so in the Carter carb book.
Would it be cool?
Absolutely awesome i think and I arent even a GN fan. Is see a car in this month Rod and Custom, a 28 highboy owned by John and Nancy Burke I think it was. It was with a hopped up Desota flathead. Looks so cool!
I bet it works nice too and sounds great!
D

#16655 11/04/07 02:25 AM
I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
It would have been 52, then, that they had a WCFB because I'm pretty sure Packard had it in '53.

Prior to that, in 40-41, the Buick used two carbs (large one barrels?) and called it Compound Carburetion. That gave 165 hp, whicj probably tied for highest output, putting it in the same range as an big Chrysler or a Cadillac

#16656 11/04/07 08:18 PM
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
The 70 series Buick came with a four barrel as factory equipment in 1952, 1953, and 1954. Several different Carter model WCFB's and Stromberg (yes Virginia, Stromberg made a four barrel, and it was a good one) model 4-A's.

The Buick compound carburetion was available in 1941 and 1942 on either the small or large engine. Carbs used were either Carter WCD or Stromberg AA series. The compound carburetion was set up as a "progressive" system with a normal primary carb, and a "dumper" secondary carb.

Buick tested a version of compound carburetion as early as 1935 with 2 Stromberg 1 barrel carbs being used experimentally. The 2 1 barrel version never made production.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor you will ever buy, is the incorrect one you attempt to modify!!!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available