Rate Thread
#17974 06/28/02 09:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I got a "deal" on a cast iron saganaw a while back. Have had it in and out several times, adjusted the linkage so many times I don't remember, and pulled the inspection plate to make sure there was nothing catastrophic wrong. It is hard to shift, it sounds like it doesn't make it out of one gear before it tries to go into another. Reverse sounds like a thrashing machine. It hangs up sometimes when I shift it with my hand while it is on the floor of my shop. Sometimes it doesn't.I think its in the tranny and not in the shifter. What do you think? How about those $90 kits from JCW?

------------------

#17975 06/29/02 11:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unless somebody has had the trans apart and put something back wrong, or left something out, you should be able to eyeball it for a diagnosis. Unhook the linkage and try to shift it by moving the tabs on the side of the cover, If it still won't shift easily, the problems is inside. Broken teeth will be obvious. If it hangs up on the shop floor there is probably wear in the shift forks, a broken synchro or a linkage problem. If possible try another side cover with good shift forks. If a synchronizer has started to come apart it could be dropping pieces of brass into the counter gear cluster. Drain the fluid and check for metal (most Saginaws don't have drain plugs but there is a flat boss on the bottom where you can drill & tap for one). I don't know about the $90 JCW kits but the last Sag rebuild kit I bought was made in China and the countershaft was so poorly made it was not usable. The kit didn't include new synchros either, I think they were an additional $25 or so each, so it's not hard to put $150 or so into a Saginaw, so it may be time to start looking for another transmission.

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 06-29-2002).]

#17976 06/29/02 02:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks a lot for the info. I did notice that the shifting forks were badly worn. I am going to tear it down today for inspection. I have a diagram that points out each part by name and while I have never done the job before I make a living troubleshooting other types of equuipment so it ought to be easy enough if I follow my instructions and lay the parts out in a line. I will watch where I buy parts too! Thanks again. Ray

#17977 06/29/02 08:18 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
This is where i get all my 4speed stuff as well as my trannys He is in Pa Ed Hartnett. 610-623-9381 or u can email him @ EH4SPEEDS@AOL.COM hope this helps.}[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#17978 06/30/02 01:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Nova Man. I will check your guy before I buy. I like USA parts myself. Ray

#17979 06/30/02 11:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Saginaw comes apart pretty easily - Only special tool you will need is a good set of snap ring pliers. There is a certain sequence you need to follow, it should be in any repair manual like Motor's or Haynes.

#17980 07/16/02 01:25 AM
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F

Crew: 608 AA/GL and The Flying Seven.
#17981 07/16/02 01:32 AM
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
oops, sorry about the above post, fat fingers.

I bought a rebuilt Sag from a builder in Tranquillity,NJ a few years ago. This guy really knew his business, but I can't find his name.
The last Muncie I did, I got parts and advice from 4speed.com. I don't know if they got parts for the Sag, but they are good people, too. They got a very interesting message board where I'm sure you could get an answer for your problem and also a source for good parts.
Frank #3627

Crew: 608 AA/GL and The Flying Seven.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement