Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
We'll gang not a good night after pulling my rear cover off my differential housing to see rust througout.Shut the garage door and wondered how it got in there, its beside the point it's there.I plan to take her all back a part, just how far should I go? I need some advise here. 1955 1/2 ton stock rearend.I never had any grease in it since I'd set up the 3:90 only on the bearings and seals. I was just checking everything over just prior to sevicing it. THANKS A BUNCH..

[This message has been edited by haleybaby (edited 02-13-2003).]

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Are you saying You only greased everything? DIDn't you have any Gear lube in that rearend? If you didn't have any gear lube in there Your lucky Thats all that you found and not a much of parts. Just how bad is the rust. ? }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Basically I've had the rearend together for about a year, just to roll the chassie around.No I haven't driven it yet so therefor it did sit outside for that whole year. Everthing was good and tight but I just thought I'd pull the cover off to see how she looked before I serviced it with the gear oil. And like I said RUST.. on the axles alittle bit and around the inside of the housing clear out to the flanges.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That from most likely day and Nite heat sweat If it has not pitted anything yet you may very well still be ok just Clean eveything the best you can and get some oil or something back over all of it so it doesn't happen again. hope this helps
}[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Thats exactly what I plan to do, clean everything the best I can oil her down and go with it.Thanks for your help there Twisted6. How did you get that name?

H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Thats exactly what I plan to do, clean everything the best I can oil her down and go with it.Thanks for your help there Twisted6. How did you get that name?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Well how i got the name could be a long story LOL. But I'll just say maybe because of the car and it was rubbed off on me LOL.
( because of what the car has broken axles,clutchs,dist. who knows maybe because of intake sys lol ) But hey I don't mind I built it back in 1986 and have Never been inside the motor to fix anything.And I still have 60 psi oil pressure & around 40 psi at idle ) Not bad for a 17 yr old motor

}[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
lol in 86 i was 2 years old!! your motor is almost as old as me

------------------
Drew
63deuce

Drew
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
So what are you saying Drew/63deuce That i still have a young motor Or that it is time to rebuild it again LOL Or is that I know how to build it the right way the first time. To bad it some times spends more time sitting lately then it does on the track. But hey it used to be my daily driver up unitl a few yrs ago, But the now with the 5:13 gears It's not realy to good for the streets LOL }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members