Rate Thread
#18568 11/25/03 01:43 PM
H
Hud I Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I have a friend wanting to convert his Chevy pick up to a 250 L6. The truck is originally equiped with a diesel and auto trans. It is an Olds. engine and trans. He is looking into using the conversion plate that is available from JEG's that converts BOP trans. to Chevy engines. Has anyone out there had any dealings with using this type of conversion plate? Any info. or feedback would be appreciated.

#18569 11/25/03 05:33 PM
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Somewhere in the timeframe the diesel pick-ups were built (78)GM went from having a separate BOP bolt pattern to everything going to the Chev bolt pattern. It may be a non-issue. If he has a lot invested in the transmission, it may be worthwhile to use an adapter, but it may require the transmission mount to be moved back to compensate for the thickness of the adapter. It would probably be easier just to find a Chev trans and he can use all stock parts.

He will probably also need to get wiring schematics for both gas and diesel as the diesel has some modules, such as glow plugs etc that he will want to eliminate.

Inliner #1916
#18570 11/27/03 10:59 AM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Tell him to remember to also change the fuel tank. Save some aggrevation down the road.

------------------
Ontario Inliners

1940 Chev Sedan
1954 Chev Custom
1965 Chev Pick-up

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

#18571 11/27/03 01:24 PM
H
Hud I Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
Thanks guys for the input. He is in the process of gathering up the necessary parts. I am sure he will start on it soon.

#18572 12/08/03 09:28 PM
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I have done this conversion or simliar several times.GM used the plate I believe on the"215" "6" in 65-66 Pontiac Tempest(it was a scaled down version of a "230" chevy "6") & maybe others.These plates vary in Thickness , depending on who manufactured it.The thing to remember,is measure the "thickness of the " adapter-plate" you are using and shim the torque-converter "back" that amount so the converter will be engaged or deep enough into the front Pump of the transmission.The shims are installed between the Flywheel and the torque-converter.As far as the trans. mount holes , many are already sloted(the trans. mount holes on the crossmember or the crossmember to frame holes) or you can do this with a rotory file. Another Issue is the diesel trans does not " down gear" on de-acceleration-- in other words it "free wheels" when you let off the gas. This will not cause a mechanic failure or problem but is uncomfortable to drive, for some people.If you are rebuilding the trans.,the rebuilder can take care of this at no extra cost.Some of the diesel torque-converters were "6" bolt instead of "3" at the flywheel--- in some cases you will have to drill "3" more hloes(simple) or change the converter.The starter will be on the opposite side ,but is not a problem since the pickup is equipted with a battery on each side of the motor and as mentioned some of the wiring will need to be eliminated-Paul

[This message has been edited by paulweldit (edited 12-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by paulweldit (edited 12-08-2003).]

BAN LOW PERFORFMANCE DRIVERS.....
NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS!!

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available