Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I posted this on the Stovebolt site and would like a little more perspective before going out and emptying out my wallet.

I am building a 292 and plan on a manual transmission to go into a '51 suburban.

The motor has increased compression (9.5:1), ross pistons, reconditioned - recentered rods, larger valves and some headwork, performance cam, etc. Induction will initially be a 600 cfm holley with a clifford intake and will exhaust through stovebolt cast headers. Expect to use 30 inch tires through 4.11 rearend.

It will have the standard gearhead mix of driving conditions, grocery getter, sunday drives with the family. Swap meets - occational street abuse getting onto the freeway just for fun.

With all that, I am looking at 5 spd transmissions. I am considering a WC T5 or a Tremec 3550 set up for GM applications.

The Tremec websites say that it is a bolt up to a Muncie type GM bellhousing. Is this the case also for the T5?

Any reccomendations on clutch size? The flywheel I have right now is out of a 1970 3/4 ton truck, should I find something different?

Is this engine / truck / gearing combo a good match for a T5 or will I risk breaking it? I don't want to spend the money on a Tremec if a T5 will hold together reliably wtih a little abuse.

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ken:
Ken, the flywheel sounds OK. Probably 11" or 12" clutch. 11" is OK for your use. I didn't know the Tremec was identified by 3550. New Venture makes an all AL 5 speed OD trans. with integral bellhousing that should work for your truck and gearing(3550 and 3500.) I don't know about prices, but they are in GM since '92 or so, so should be plentiful.

Be sure to get one with the old fashioned throwout bearing and front retainer. Some may have integral throwout(hydraulic) bearing which you probably don't want. They come for both 4WD and 2WD positions. You will have to use the transmission mount for the rear since the integral bellhousing has no side mounts. Write with more questions.

------------------

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ken-

Go for the WC T-5 tranny but try to find one from a 1980-83 Camero Z-28. These are a little stronger than the V-6 T-5's and mine bolted up to the stock 292 perfectly. I used an available 230 10.5" flywheel, re-surfaced, and bolt holes opened up to 1/2". A stock 292 flywheel should be fine as they range from 10"-11" depending which vehicle it came out of.
Clutch linkage was a snap with no modifications at all on my '40 Coupe. I also used a stock Aluminum bellhousing from any GM small block (mine was from a '63 Vette) and I installed a new CenterForce clutch. I have over 4500 miles of in-town, freeway, and stoplight thrashing on the the drive train with no noticable change. The WC T-5 was not intended for Drag Racing but for Street use, it should last with some common sense.

I use a rebuilt 3:55 Posi 10-bolt rear from a '68 Nova (8.2") and with the 30" tall rear tires, I tach approx 2200 RPM's at 70 MPH! The '83 T-5 has a 2.97 first gear so stoplight starts are brisk but short and the OD is 0.64 which is nice for the highway.

The Tremec is a fine transmission but at what cost? You can find a WC T-5 and have it rebuilt for less than the cost a new Tremec.
Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

[This message has been edited by raprap (edited 01-09-2004).]

50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Ed - I got lots of questions, thanks for helping me out with some of them

Since it is going into a '51 truck - I am going to have to get an S10 tail housing and shaft as well. I'll see what I can find in the U-Pull it.

Get the tranny parts first and then find a bellhousing that will mate it all together.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
FWIW, I don't believe Chevy started using the WC version until '88 in the Camaro, and I think about '92 in the S10. I rebuilt the one in my Dad's '91 S10 and in was a NWC.

The Tremec TKO-3550-2 is basically an aftermarket tranny for around $2500. Some lighter duty versions were used by Ford in the Cobra R, I think. Maybe a few other models. It would probably be overkill for your application. The NV3500 is a totally different animal.

I.I. #3174
50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Calling around to different wrecking yards in the Portland area makes one lose heart pretty fast. American classics has the only camaro/bird 5spd T5 I could find and they wanted $750 + $200 core charge YIKES

I called a guy just north of me (www.darkhorseperformance.com) who sells a GM version of the Tremec that is supposed to be a bolt in replacement of a Muncie. Right at $2k with the front shift position, output yoke.

ebay is looking better as far as prices go.

P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
I am amused that all the junkyards are now adding core prices to their parts. They threw that one at me when I needed a pair of CV axles. Like they are going to rebuild mine and put them back on the junker? I am afraid computers have ruined junkyards. Although I did find the CV axles at another real junkyard for half the price, my position on most items is pay the dollar admission to a Pick and Pull or Pull a Part a half dozen times and get lucky or hit ebay.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Well Ken,
If you are sure that you will need to use the S10 shifter location, but want the V8 tranny, then that means buying 2 trannies, probably. With that in mind, why not get yourself a S10 version (preferably with 3.50 or 3.76 1st gear) and put that in. What have you got to loose? when you do finnally find that needle in the haystack, you'll allready have your conversion parts.

At those prices, maybe you can find a complete vehicle to buy and just part it out. Should be easy with S10's, Remember that the longbed S10 frames are great for hotrodding swaps

At the swapmeets around here, I can usually come up with a good S10 box for about $100-$200, salvage yards usually want a little more. Saw 3 V8 boxes last spring for about $300 ea. condition unknown.

I.I. #3174
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I have ran an 250/mild cam/header/clifford intake/4bbl carb with a standard S10 5sp for years in my 1952 1/2 ton. It worked well for years. Then six finally died and now run a SB305 (Shame) and the same 5speed. It's even the weeker 5speed, that came from an S10 4 cly (Lower 1st gear).

Dave
Chico, TX

50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
So Dave, I am curious, do you baby that drivetrain (I would think you couldn't do much more than baby it with a 305 LOL) :P

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
LOL, true the 292 has more torque than a 305. I got the 305 free in rebuilt stock form. Actually, I liked the way the 250 and the 5speed performed. I would assume a 292 would be sweet in 5th going down the freeway.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Ken, I run an S10 T5 behind a 261 and just don't use 1st gear. Plenty of torque to start in second and the over drive is the big benefit. If I want to get across the intersection quick I can use first but I have to shift before I get across it. If you want an S10 T5 send me an email at chevyman1937@aol.com I have a spare one in the garage.

------------------
Gael
37 chevy sedan, 261,t5
57 pickup
58 burb

Gael
37 chevy sedan, 261,t5
57 pickup
58 burb

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available