Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
Ken B Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
At the drags I leave the line in low gear but when I manually shift her into second she does not shift until she decides to a few seconds later and at a much higher rpm. Also does this when I go from second to drive. My e.t. is suffering and my 250 is screaming so high I'm afraid to look at the tach. By the time she does decide to shift into drive I'm almost at the quarter mile finish line. Is there anything I can do to the tranny to make her shift immediately when I manually shift her? This way I will be able to experiment with different shift points. She has a floor shift which is perfectly adjusted. The fluid and fluid level are fine and she shifts just fine on the street.
Thanks, Ken

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You can get a adjustable vac. Module to help adjust the shift points. Or install a shift kit with a manual valve body??? This is up to you.
but hope this helps }[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
In a racing environment it is pretty unlikely that the vacuum modulator has any control over the shift points. The trans is either shifting as you move the lever up through the gears or it is shifting on the governor. The weights on the governor can be modified to raise or lower the highest rpm the trans will shift at. If you aren't comfortable with automatic transmissions then this may not be something you want to do yourself. One quick thing to try is disconnecting the kickdown cable from the carb linkage. This also effects upshift and downshift points relative to throttle position when connected.

Some fully manual valve bodies have the governor oil passages reconfigured to bypass the governor.
these are race only set ups and you will get tired of it quick if you also drive the car on the street.

A call to B&M, TCI, or even Phoenix Transmissions should get you the info you need for a valve body and possibly a governor replacement that will do what you want.

Mike G #4355
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks Mike for the add in on this. Now i know another reason to liking STD \:\) lol }[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
K
Ken B Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
Thank You Larry and Mike. It will be a while but eventually I'll get back to you on this "B" Board and let you know how I make out.
Ken

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
B& M makes an inexpensive shift kit that is easy to install( can be done with the trans in the car) and while it is not as good as "tricked out" trans it will make noticiable improvements and the trans can still be used for everyday driving. It has a modified valve-body plate and instructions and you will need some grease to hold the steel replacement balls in place. Good Luck , Paul

BAN LOW PERFORFMANCE DRIVERS.....
NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS!!
T
Contributor
Contributor
T

got my 78 merc with a 250 I6 and i love it.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available