Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have a '38 Chevy 1/2 ton that has a beater 235 in it that has a rod knock. I have a low mile 261 that I am considering dropping in place and running. Might add Fenton headers and dual intake. Will the rearend and tranny take the torque of the bigger six? Should I change over to late model tranny and open driveline rearend?

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Ken,The 261 should be ok on your drive line if it's in good condition even after adding the Fentons and dual intake. If you are planning to run it hard I think an upgrade in the drive line would be a good idea.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
C
Newcomer
Newcomer
C
Greetings,

I don't know much about the torque tube driveshaft, but I wanted to know what you mean by: The 261 should be ok on your drive line if it's in good condition. If you are planning to run it hard I think an upgrade in the drive line would be a good idea.

When you say run it hard, what is hard? Under normal driving,everything should be ok, right? What are the advantages/disadvantages to staying with the torque tube or changing to open drive. My intentions are to stay with the torque tube, only because I would like to stay as original as possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
I put a 261 in my 37 chevy sedan. Dual carbs, split exhaust. The torque tube wasn't the problem but I broke rear axle shafts twice. The sceond time I put in a S10 4x4 rear end with 3.73 gears and a T5 5 speed. Havn't broke any more axles and much more drivable.

My problem of breaking axles may have something to do with the fact that I have to down shift and listen to the exhaust pipes crackle. I just can't help myself. Those torque reversals can't be good for axles.

Gael

Gael
37 chevy sedan, 261,t5
57 pickup
58 burb
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Ken;

A l937 had a driveline designed for 80 horspower.

A 261" with dual carbs & headers is double that.
Drive accordingly is all.

Good luck, John M........

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
My biggest problem with the torque tube is that your options for gearing and transmissions are just about nil. Plus when it comes to working on the trans, pulling it out can be an all day affair vs an hour with an open drive line. I lost mine years ago in my 46 pickup and have never been sorry.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
E
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
E
As John just said "It's not the tube that's the problem". The rear axle in that truck is a poor one. My dad had a '39 1/2 ton that he had to rebuild the rear end three times(no, he's a good mechanic), and he drives things easy. When I got my '37 1/2 ton I tore out the entire drive train and replaced it with a '55-'59 1/2 ton drive train, stock 235, SM-420, open drive shaft, and HO-33 rear axle assembly. One of the nice things about this(other than being much better built than the original '37 stuff) is that it looks pretty much stock, so that unless you are pretty familiar with these old trucks, you wouldn't know it wasn't original. I also had the king pin bores in the front axle rebored and put the '55-'59 front hub/brake assemblies on it. Now all my brakes match also.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 374 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available