Rate Thread
M
maxvamp Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a 1969 very stock standard issue camaro. I am it's third owner and have owned this great car since 1984. This is my first car...

Now, I have taken great pains to try to actually keep it original, as I like the way it was setup:

250 CI
3 speed manual
manual everything

Now, I am looking to try to take care of the column shifter, since over the years, it has gotten very sloppy, and the gears seem very likely to tangle on the firewall.

I was wondering if anyone here know of a company or source for parts that could help me rebuild the column and linkage. Also does anyone know of the common wear problems in these columns? I want to make sure that I only have to rebuild it once for a very long time, even if it means to shotgun the column and linkage.

Thank you for your help,

Max.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Visit you nearest magazine seller and pick up any CAMARO titled mag and you'll find advertisers selling what you need ... or visit a GM dealer or generally any parts store for linkage parts.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
O
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
O
Classic Industries out here in Huntington Beach has basically anything you could need for a Camaro , and are great to deal with!. I am local and deal with them alot for work (export parts from there) but they do tons and tons of online,mail order,etc as well....
As said, pick up any magazine and they will be in there.

M
maxvamp Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
While I agree that Classic Industries is GRRRREAT!!!, I have noticed that when it comes to some of the inline 6 stuff, they are less well stocked than if it were for a V8 of any form. Same deal goes for the shifters. Column parts are harder to find, and if possible, I would like to avoid the ididit columns. Very nice columns, but not original.

As far as the mags... Has anyone come across any particular ads? I peruse the chevy mags regularly.

Thank you all for the advice so far. It is appriciated.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
First thing is to make sure all of the rubber bushings are in good shape, those at the end of the column and those on the shifter rods. The rubber commonly wears our allowing slop. The generic Mr Gasket rubber with metal insert or the Hurst solid metal versions should work with your stock linkage.

Inliner #1916
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I have the same car & got my around the same time,small world. 1983?
Mine was three speed on the floor though.
Now it has a turbo 350.I had put 4 spd Muncie trans , Monza five speeds, broke both of those, kinda weak :-) 5 spd that is......
Good luck!
Hank

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement