Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20115 01/20/06 08:27 PM
4door52 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I have a 1980 Chevrolet truck with 25,000 miles runs rough at idle tuned up and rebuilt carb still runs rough. Is it the Integral head? What year head would be good to change it with also what exhaust and intake manifolds would be good to use also carb. and where would be a good place to get parts also what about the power steering pump do I need a different brackets and pump.Has anyone done this? Please let me know!
Thanks

#20116 01/22/06 02:35 AM
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Greetings,
Not a pro at this by any means but you have alot of choices.
I actually have an L6 out of an 81 or 82 truck in my 65 project. Picked up a head off of an older 250, non intergrated style. Offenhouser intake and cast iron headers from Langdons. If you dig around locally you might locate an entire running engine for parts. I bought my 250 with trans for less than I paid for the new headers. I actually saw one complete 250 abandon on a side street. Check your local wrecking yards. Ebay also has deals on these parts used, rebuilt, and even new. The inline parts are not so main stream so it take a little patience to find them on there.

Someone else please correct me if wrong;
Any Cherolete inline six 194-230-250 head should interchange. Brackets are another story. I am reusing all of my original 230 stuff on the 250.

Good hunting.

John C.
Oklahoma!
1965 two door wagon project
#20117 01/22/06 03:05 PM
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Assuming the tuneup was done right, it may be possible you have a burnt valve, a compression and leak down test should help determine this. Also, hook up a vacuum gage to manifold vac and see if the needle bounces around or if it's stable. This can also indicate valve problems.
Also, it may be something wrong with the emisions controls, good luck with that one. Check all your vac lines for leaks, splits, etc...

Unless there is something physically wrong with it, having an integral or non-integral head shouldn't matter concerning the rough idle...

Like John said, any 63-74 head could be used for changing over to non-integral. If you want stock manifolds, just go to a salvage yard...

As for power steering brackets, seems like everybody is looking for those. The 292 ones are different than 230/250, but don't pass them up, as someone around here will want them...
Try your local salvage yards, shouldn't matter if its car, truck, or van. Probably best to look for them between the years 73-84, I would try looking at vans in particular...
You will need to change your steering box and possibly the pitman arm and center link also...

I.I. #3174
#20118 01/27/06 04:04 PM
E
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
E
The heads will all interchange, but the 194 has a smaller combustion chamber. On a bigger motor you could end up with more compression than you planned on, which could be either good or bad...

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available