Rate Thread
#20119 01/23/06 03:02 PM
S
sherman Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I've got a lead on a late model 4X4 S10, 3.73 posi rear with disk breaks. Would this be worth the extra $ over a non-posi unit? I'll be installing a warmed 235 in front of it.

Thanks!

#20120 01/27/06 12:35 AM
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
What year is that rear from? I've been looking for one also for my '53 chevy 210. I've also read that a Ford Explorer will work and that the 95's to 2000 have disk brakes, some with posi. I had a salvage yard give me a price of $275 for the Ford rear. The 4x4 S-10 posi has been harder for me to find than I thought it would have been. I've also read that the Ford is stronger, but for our inlines I think either would be good. If the price is right for the S-10 I'd go for it.

#20121 01/27/06 05:35 AM
S
sherman Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Ok - This is what I found out. Their is a guy in Florida, somewhat close to Clearwater - his business is called S10 Warehouse (always on e-bay). He has a 2001, S10, 4X4, posi, 3.73 with disk breaks and is the needed 58" width (this axle is not currently advertised on e-bay). He wants $800 for the complete rear (bit pricy for me). I talked to Buffalo Steve yesterday & he advised against disk breaks on the rear because of parking break cable issues & general pain in the a**. He has actually changed out disks for drums. I'll bet the S10 guy still has the rear - if you want to pursue, go on e-bay, type in chevy rear end & look for an S10 axle (Bradenton, FL location)& you will find him. The one currently on e-bay is too wide (63" from ZR2 Truck) What you want is 58" wide (std. 4X4 rear). He still had the 58" one a few days ago & I'll bet he stll has it. So going by what Buffalo Steve says...I'm thinking ....the price for this axle + conversion to drum breaks doesn't seem to me to be worth the money (probably what? - $1000 to $1200 or so + shipping costs, etc.?) Could get a brand new axle from Strage Engineering for multi-leaf spring Nova application (will fit early Chev) for $1800 or so. Guess I'm just trying to make all this conversion stuff fun and affordable....These Bone Yard Guys Know That The Sum of the Parts is Always Much Greater that the Total Value. Sherman....God Bless....

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available