Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Yet another question . . . I have been told so many different things from so many different people on this topic, my head is spinning! Plan is to run 10-12 psi of boost on a supercharged 292 running flat top pistons. Won't be a really high reving motor . . . but have been advised to go with after market rods by more than a few folks. Where do you get 6.760 inch aftermarket rods? (Or some reasonable equivalent) The Crower sportsman rods are only 6 inches long and making up the difference with pistons wrist pin placement would be rediculous. Any ideas out there?

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
hello...great question...I have been going thru same search myself.....according to Clifford ,they can get the Crower Sportsman rod for the 292-not billet-but not able to confirm this-supposedly 1 of Clifford's special deals....but since i lost interest ,i didnt follow up talking to Clifford (Eric) about those rods....for my lightened crank , i will be using GRP con rods(grpconrods.con)...i have talked to many 292 drag racers across the country on a budget -racing for fun-that use stock rods reconditioned- I find that VERY interesting....well, let us know what you find,I will be using GRP rods-aluminum(thats all they make i believe)......

Lee

[This message has been edited by LeeLites (edited 03-12-2002).]

50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have had someone suggest a 4340 steel forging but did not offer a manufacturer. Another fellow said to give Oliver Rod company a try. http://www.oliver-rods.com/ I'll take a look at GRP . . . gonna let this stew a little more before finalizing my decision.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Check out this website for custom rods.
http://www.pauter.com/billetrod.htm

Good Luck
Steve

'98 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0
'56 Willys P/U, 226L
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
How much money do you have?

For the right price, Crower will make any rod you want.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
hello....Crower's Billet rod for a 292 including shipping is $1100.00......they can make the length you want.....

Lee

50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Here is what I decided to do. I am sending my stock rods to Speedomotive for reconditioning. They straighten, balance, bush the pins and rebore for proper length to within .0005" across all rods, shot peen and guarantee 6500 rpm operation with Ross pistons. They order the pistons and set them up for you then ship the matched assemblies to you . . . the rod work is done for about half the price of new aftermarket rods. Anybody else heard of speedomotive? http://www.speedomotive.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Another from 2002

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
They are available from many companies from A-Z in either aluminum or steel(titanium if you just don't have anything else to spend your money on) on a custom basis. Carillo, Crower, Cunningham, Oliver and Molner would be the top choice for billet steel. While GRP, Venolia and maybe Brooks would be a couple of choices for aluminum. Keep in mind that because of the width and length, some companies may be limited by what they can provide you.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
G
GH Offline
Contributor
Contributor
G
GRP made the aluminum rods that we use in the Buick straight 8.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available