Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
M
Been trying to dig up some options on parts for a 230 Inline 6 for a 52 Chevy.

It had a split cast exhaust manifold and cracked for the last time. I looked at Clifford and Stovebolt, but I wondered if there were any other options?

Need something short as this car is looooow.

Thanks

------------------
Mufflerman

Mufflerman
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
It's my understanding that the exhaust manifolds on the later sixes are made from poorer quality metal and do not split very well (Kansas Kustoms). So, if the Clifford and Stovebolt stuff is too expensive, you'll have to make your own I guess.

I.I. #3174
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
You guys may think I'm nuts, but I've heard about using 4.3L V-6 drivers side exhaust manifolds (with appropriate mods to the mounting flanges) as split units on an inline. I haven't seen any applications, but scuttlebutt sometimes really is based on truth?

Anybody else heard this?

------------------
David

David
newbie #4153
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
mufflerman, Hedman #69310 headers listed in PAW Catalog and Dynomax #85023 probably available from Summit. I do not have any details on either one of these yet but the prices are very reasonable.
Ken

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spotted at the Daytona swap meet on Friday:

Interesting story on these headers. They are stainless steel and made by Borla. They fit a 292 and were (according to the seller) part of a project by UPS to improve gas mileage in their delivery trucks. How many sets were made? Does Borla still have the jigs? We don't know but the "Borla" tag has a serial number, so it may be possible to get some answers. Stay tuned.

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Re. UPS/Borla tube headers. I've heard about these but never seen a set until now. Word was that the original cast iron headers were cracking from water splashing up from the road, so Borla made these custom units specially for UPS.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Mufflerman,

Unfortunately there is only one choice (a very expensive choice too, in my opinion) for later inline 6s if you want a long lasting dual exhaust setup; and that is the Stovebolts. Take the selling price, add shipping plus the installation kit and you're out of almost 300 bucks!

gearhead is right. Mike Yoder of Kansas Kustoms no longer splits the later 6 manifolds. He told me that the metal appeared to be of poorer cast than the earlier 216/235/261 castings.

So when there's one choice, you have to pay the asking price. But I live in the deep south and there's an abundance of 230s and 250s in salvage yards here. I plan on getting a couple of good manifolds and finding a few competent shops that will do a test split manifold for me. If something works out then it could be the start of something good. Another resource besides the Stovebolts would give buyers options. That's always a good thing!

-magic mike-

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey guys, don't be afraid to pay a little more to get a lot more!
I'm definately not made of money or spend foolishly. The Stovebolt headers that Tom Langdon sells are probably 3-4 generational units. That means the trial and error, fit, cracking problems have been worked out for you. If you think $250-$300 is too much to pay for a bolt on item that will let your motor breathe and perform wonderfully, then you are a glutton for being under the hood longer than you should be.
I've built several inlines and all had split headers. I thought steel tubes would be the best route, but they don't hold up to prolonged heat. I've been through several Cast Fentons and the newer ones are not the best quality.(not true header flange)What Buffalo was doing was commendable but not a long term solution.
Be smart when building your motors and search for the best value! The old addage still is true. You get what you pay for if you do your research. If you can't afford it, wait and save for it. Don't be in a rush like I used to do. It will end up costing you more!

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Anyone know of any salvage yards with old UPS trucks? Those Borla headers look great.

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
raprap you couldn't have said it any better!

I work on a budget due to a family and mortgage with a son going to college very soon. Sometimes it takes patience, but the wait is worth it. Especially when you are crusing the bulevard and sounding good.

8's are great, but a 6 is sweet...
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Perhaps if we all phone/Email Borla repeatedly till they get sick of it they will start making them for the rest of us???

Stop by your local UPS shop and see if they can hook you up???

I.I. #3174

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available