Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23494 08/27/04 02:20 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hey guys, recently my old rochester one barrel has giving me fits with backfiring after I cut the engine off i got the timing set nicely, and check everything else. i thought about puting another rebuild kit in it. Or i thought about the Holley two-barrel carbs. Would it give me any kind of performance over the stock one barrel??? And what would I have to change up?????

Thanks,
MATT!

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
66Chevytruck,
I have a stock 235 that is freshly rebuilt and I was running the stock 1 barrel. I was having problems with chewing up a lot of gas getting about 6 miles to the gallon. I ordered the holly/weber carb from Stovebolt with the linkage kit. didn't take but a few hours, and wow what a diffrence. I am getting mucchhh better gas millage, and their was a pritty major increase in performace that i noticed. Much better acceleration. I would highly suggest it
Joseph

1955 2nd Series known as TioNelo
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Tio, wat sorta increases in gas mileage did you get?
thanx, Sam,

.for every 1 mile of road, theres 2 miles of ditches.
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Samwise,
It really depends on how I drive. I'm 17 so its real hard for me to stay out of that 2nd barrel \:\) If I stay out of the second barrrel I can get about 15-16 mpg. If i just haul out the whole way to school I get about 9mpg. The first barrel to my experence is fine for just driving around. Good enough acceleration that off a light your still keepin up with most, as for the second barrel, its great. On my truck I have flowmasters, and when i hit that second bareel it gives it a whole nother tone that sounds like a racecar its awesome. Overall really peped my engine up and can't beat it for the price.
Joseph

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks, yaw for you responses! I thinking about ordering a Holley Two-barrel from summit. Would that be good choice?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you're speaking of the Holley 2300 two barrel it is definitely not a good MPG carburetor. In fact it can be worse than a 4 barrel because the 2300 is basically a 4-barrel with no primaries. It is a good carb for circle track racing where you can only run a 2-barrel, or for the end carbs in tr-power setups, but waht TioNeldo55 is talking about is the Holley-Weber staged 2 barrel, with a primary and secondary venturi. They are around $65 rebuilt from Stovebolt - adapter, linkage and air cleaner are extra.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Does it work with a manual choke??

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
66chevytruck,
It comes with a water heated choke, but can be converted over to manual.
Joseph

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
i was having problems with my Rochester 1 bbl and decided to go with a holley weber 5200 and so far have had nothing but headaches. First it's a real pain getting the linkage to work on my '59 chevy. Secondly the water heat plate and all the plumbing is a pain to hook up...still not convinced i need it, and i'm having a hard time tuning it. Maybe i got a bad rebuild but I can't get a good idle and it stumbles when i punch the throttle?

It might be worthwhile if it ever works but for the performance gain versus the work involved I might stick with a rebuilt Rochester 1bbl.
By the way my primary jet is a 135. Can anyone tell me what jet size they have on the primary and secondary?

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Your primary is way too small. Try using a 50-51 primary and 54 in the secondary. From there you can start to back off with the primary. I would not go any lower that a 48 in the primary.Tom Langdon @ Stovebolt can help you with the jets. You are running very lean with 35!

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
I mounted a Holley 2300 on a stock 261 engine. I cut away the top of the stock manifolf, made a phenolic mounting plate for the carb.The stock exhaust heat was retained. This carb is off a 266 cube IHC V-8, flows about 320 cfm when rated as 2bbl. The carb is far superior to the NOS Rochester B that was on the engine, idles better, has much better throttle response and power and the fuel mileage actually increased about 2 mpg.Holley 2300-4150 carbs can be tuned to deliver excellent fuel mileage and power if used for the proper application.
261 in a 51 PU

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
The jets in my Holley/Weber 5200 are the same size as a 1/8" drill bit: Hee Hee Hee \:D

Paint it black with a rattle can, and drive it like ya stole it!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available