Rate Thread
#23621 10/05/04 12:41 AM
S
samwise Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
alright., i was sitting in algebra class today, and it hit me. if a engine can run on 1 carb. why can't it run on 3 lil carbs?? like..3 lawnmower carbs, 1 for each runner to the block? and modify an intake, or custom one to accept the 3. i dunno. just a hair brained idea for something different. i've heard of pple using motorbike carbs..but..yeah. lemme know whatcha think!

SamWise.

.for every 1 mile of road, theres 2 miles of ditches.
#23622 10/05/04 03:02 PM
G
Contributor
Contributor
G
Most of my ideas are hair brained....... \:\)

I'm not so sure about the lawnmower carbs ideas. The running one carb on each intake is cool, that's been made to work. But the interesting thing is, even though you have 3 times the number of carbs they usually need to be able the same size as the original 1 carb.

It works like this: Even though you've got 6 cylinders they aren't all pulling air at once. Each cylinder only pulls 1/4 the time (4 cycle engine). Now we're talking about a L6 so there's gonna be a point where there's 2 cylinders on intake at once. So that single carb has to be able to handle, at max, two cylinders worth of airflow. If you have a carb on each intake it's gotta be able to supply one cylinder at a time (even though we have 2 cylinders per intake runner, they're never both on the intake stroke). So at they're smallest size, each of the 3 carbs can't be smaller than 1/2 the size of the original carb.

So if you've got 3 carbs at 1/2 the size you end up with 1.5 times the amount of carburation in the end.

But then there's plenum volume. This is basically the space in the intake. It absorbs intake pulses from the engine and smooths them out. So the carb seems somewhat of an up and down flow (as the engine cycles) even though at point the engine may be pulling a lot of air or no air. You go to a smaller plenum you need a bigger carb. this is because less of those high air demand periods are being dampened and more demand is being put on the carb.

With individual runners you've almost gotten rid of the plenum. So then you need bigger carbs to make up for that. So you end up with 3 carbs about as big as the single carb you started with.

I like the idea of multiple carbs. But you'd need to go with 3 carbs about the size of the original. Carbs significantly smaller, even if there's 3 would mean your car would be under carbed (read:less power). I saw a chevy 350 once in a book that was converted to individual runners. It needed a 700 CFM carb before, and after it had almost 2500 CFM total (amoung 8 carbs). It was cool. Ours are a little different cause of the siamesed runners. We don't need SO much carb.

I hope SOME of all that made some sense.

#23623 10/05/04 11:10 PM
S
samwise Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
thanx for the reply greg! and yess. that made alot of sense. lol, you basically told me it wouldn't work, and gave me reasoning..thank you! alright, i guess its back to the drawing board then...or atleast just the Rocky B. lol, thanx again!

SamWise

.for every 1 mile of road, theres 2 miles of ditches.
#23624 10/06/04 03:20 PM
L
Contributor
Contributor
L
I belong to a speedster club and most of the members have model "T" Fords. Some of them do run lawn mower type carbs, but you have to remember that they are only getting about 50-60HP out of the "hot" ones (hot is a relative term). There are some really small Webers for sale cheap on the Pierce site; check http://www.piercemanifolds.com/overstock.htm
These are so small that I think 3 would work fine on a six (not that I know what I'm talking about)
Happy Carbing!
Leif

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement