Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
J
... everyone that helped me build a nice little set-up for my 1967 Chevy Nova. Started as a parts-matching granny-mobile... now...

Bored 40 Over, Offey Intake with a Holley 390 Carb and HEI Distributor. This feels like an entirely different car and your patience (ALL OF YOU) and info-share means that you (this message board and THE book) actually BUILT this car for a guy that just barely knew how to DRIVE before I got here!

Thanks again!

I have the power, I can feel it... Still, I need (just a little, tiny bit) more. I'm trying to figure out how to build a little more boost right off the line... and lower the 'Zero to Sixty' by a bit.

I'm NOT trying to build a racer (well not exactly) but I do love to chirp a bit right off the stop for the local import guys here in Venice, CA.

I just want to know what I can do. Right now, my motor takes a deep breath before allowing me to take off when I hit the floor. It's a stutter of about a second or so, and it's KILLIN' me!

Let me know what's next? Rear Gears? A Cam? Which one? My Dad and I came up with the Fuel Pump as a suspect. I've got a new Electric pump from Holley and I'll be adding that to the package today or tomorrow. I'll also try to figure out a way to send pics and specs (if anyone cares to see 'em).

Please give me a hand (again). I've had the car for almost ten years and just done these few things to it within the past few weeks... I'm falling in love all over again...

... now if I could just JUMP off of that LINE!!!

My gratitude to one and all...

Jason

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Have you tried to tweak the timming up just a bit?
another thing to look at is ,Does the carb squirt fuel The second you touch the gas. If Not then This may very well be your short dead spot off line. If your still running the stock Cam Yes Bumping that up Will also Give you some MORE Getty up and Go But so will a rear gear Change If Your running the Stock 3:08s chevy so Loved.
And Your Welcome. :)Glad that we could Help

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
How about some pix?

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
hello ...here is a question for you...what spring color are you using in secondaries? the 1 that came with the carb?.....or have you changed it?

maybe you have tried this, but buy a spring kit and try different color springs...each has a diff tension...sounds like you need a stronger spring.....
1) buy the Holley secondary spring kit
2) start with black spring(strongest-doesnt allow secondaries to open very quickly) then ...
3) Try other springs(color coded) ....till u find best 1 for your set up.....

this does work....
hope it works for you.......

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Plus you didn't say weather or Not the carb is New or a used one? If used has it been rebuilt?
And are you laying the pedal right to the floor when Taking off ? This to will make a Bog if the secondaries do not open. Because the Mech. side of a Vac. secondary dose not open on any Holley THAT I have Ever seen The slot is to LONG for The Linkage to open it. So the spring for the vac side may need to be played with. Another thing also comes to Mind is what size fuel line are you running. Even though the stock line should be fine for a stock to hot street setup.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
'
Contributor
Contributor
'
I found the 50cc accelerator pump kit was a real kick on my 390.

I/I #4101
'71 GMC Jimmy 350, sm465, np205,3.73 posi.
'68 C/10 Stepside 292 (.030 over) Offy Intake, 500 CFM AFB,Clif headers, sm465, 3.73 posi.
'67 K/10 454 project.
'72 K/5 rolling frame project.
J
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
J
Thanks! I'm not at all sure how that works, but I'll look into it and find out! Thanks again,

Jason

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
a 50cc accelerator pump adds a longger squirt of fuel over the stock/standard 30 cc pump.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
frist if it is a used carb make sure someone did not put a screw in the linkage to make it a manual secondary. i have run into that a lot.

i would also advise getting a copy of the book on holley carbs.

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
A little precaution for anyone using the 50cc "Reo" accelerator pump on any kind of engine including those V things. They are thicker than the stock pump and as a result will hit against the intake manifold depending on the manifold.
On an Inline you usually don't have that problem if the carb is sideways. The pump hangs out there in mid air.

Easy enough to fix by using a 1/2 inch spacer under the carb to allow the linkage enough room to push the diaphragm without interference.
You'll also probably need longer carb mounting studs. On a street driven Inline I would use a 4 hole spacer with the 4 hole gaskets under the carb rather than an open spacer to help a little with keeping a strong vacuum signal to the venturis for good response.

Mike G #4355

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available