Rate Thread
#28251 03/20/07 01:59 AM
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
A while back I indicated that I was going to look at getting a rear sump oil pan designed and then get a quote on getting a number of them cast - most likely using the investment casting process (lost wax).

Well the design process has started and I need to know how many people are ready to buck up - if we get 6 people my guess is the cost is going to be around $400 - $500 each might be more.

If we cannot get enough interest - I'll finish the design but then just fabricate a mod to the existing pan.

March 26 is the dead line to commit.

If someone on inliners is in the casting business I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I know this is a little late, but I,m interested in a pan if it is two or three inches shallower than stock Dave

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Dave NEVER SHOW your Phone Number. ALways Use a Private Message for things Like that YOU never Know who is lurking around for things like that.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Dave,

With only yourself showing interest in this part - its not affordable in qty.2 to do the investment casting.

I am looking at alternative options from scratch fabrication to using part of the sotck pan and modifing it.

I'll post again after I sort it out. I'll message you some more info.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
UPDATE

After looking at lots of options and my capacity to fabricate in AL I have decided to go with a sand casting. Currently I'm working on a the design for the form. I have CNC capacity resevred to mill a 1:1 pan out of a block of MDF for trial fitting before I cut the form.

An inital extimate is ~$300 for the raw casting which will be cast with additional material on the flanges to allow for correction of any casting errors.

I plan on having the form ready to go to the foundry in a few weeks.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
I have posted a few jpg's of the oil pan design - the draft angles still needed to be added in these 2 shots:

and the mock up we're cutting from MDF:

This will allow a fit check to be done first before committing the the pattern and casting. The mockup should be ready Monday, with fit check following. If all is good then we'll cut the pattern and off to the foundry we go. I'll post more pix, once I have the mock up installed on the vortec.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I just measured the depth of my pan. Six and a quarter inches and it just holds 5 qts. I wouldn't want one any deeper and I'm a fraid a shallower one of you configuration wouldn't hold enough oil. I don't think I'm interested in the current configuration. Trout Two

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Once I get the engine in the truck and determine clearances I might rethink the sump part of the pan to make it longer and shallower a bit - I need to verify the access hole to do up the converter bolts. On the oil filter side of the engine note the extra boss in near the pan rail for a turbo oil line return \:\)
Here are two shots with the mockup installed on the engine:

More to follow once its installed.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Can you tell me what the distance is from the top of the Cam cover to the bottom of the front of the oil pan (not the sump). I'm curious if it will clear a crossmember.

Greg

Moderated by  efi-diy, stock49 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available