Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
First off, hello everyone. My name is Grant (as if my display name wasn't obvious enough) and I am looking at building a HA/GR style drag car next year.

For those not aware of these cool cars, you can read more at (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185309&highlight=HA%2FGR+rules) It's an old style front engine drag organization with some strict, yet lenient rules. It's all about fun and running it like they were back then!

I come to you guys for some help, as to what can be done on a somewhat tight budget for my first season. Let's remember I have to build a frame, both front and rear suspension, roll cage, wheels tires, brakes, rear end, and allll this other stuff!

For my first season I would like to have a mildly slow car, 14.5-16's. Just so I learn to race, and get a feel for how these motors work. I have never built my own motor, but this will be it. No engine builders to be hired out, just a machine shop to do some machining. I plan on building my own intake and headers as well.

Once again, any help is appreciated. I will be searching tonight, as well as checking back in here with you guys! Thanks a lot.

Never let you chest and chin touch in public. They love it!
Contributor
Contributor
Grant,

Sounds like a great project. I assume that you have seen the Article in HRM May 1955 article in HRM?[/URL]. Also the ongoing thread in Webrodder Stroker Series in the BB by 6inarow?

Hoyt, Inliner #922
G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
I had not seen that article in HRM, but will be book marking it to read tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the link.

Is the 235 and 261 head exactly the same? I know on ford 300 inlines, the 240 head bumps compression a bit...same go for these?

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
This Grant from the HAMB? Welcome, I'm there too. I am interested as well, HA/GR looks like a blast. But the first 261 I am likely to build is going to go into a street type car. But if anyone out there knows, they will likely be here (or someone here knows them). Still learning myself (see my sig).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
Yes, that would be me. I will probably get a motor, get it loose, get it running, and run that for a season. After that....get some machine work done for the next season.

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Isn't the 302 Jimmy legal too?

G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
I believe it is, but are these not more expensive (by a good amount) to build than a chevy inline? The 261's seem harder to find?

G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
I believe it is, but are these not more expensive (by a good amount) to build than a chevy inline? The 261's seem harder to find?

G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
welp, I may have come across a 292. I hope he thinks (or knows) its locked up and just says to take it. It is at junkyard though, so I am thinking he will want something for it. Maybe some beer haha. I hope it works out, I would love to get started building it.

He also has a 1950 olds i want bad!

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Good luck either way.

Contributor
Contributor
The 261 head has lower compression but is otherwise identical in combustion chamber design to the 235 head. There are some extra water passage holes in the 261. A common modification is to run a 235 head on a 261 with the extra holes drilled.

If you are using new pistons then just design the pistons to up the compression and you will get what you need with the 261 head.

If you are building an all-out racing motor with custom pistons, cam, and head work, it makes more sense to use a 302. Its only really the stock parts that are more expensive, the machine work costs the same no matter what engine. The Jimmy head has a much better chamber design with side-by-side valves.

I picked up a good running 302 last year for under $300, so they are out there if you look. I'm going to replace my 261 with it.

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
I'm not sure which road I am going yet. Had some things pop up today that may alter my whole build, or let it not happen at all.

I am still going to go check out the motor, and this old Rocket 88 the guy has. For fun if not anything else.

G
GrantH Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
Well, roadblock. I thought the 292 was a pre 62 motor. Guess not. I can't use it, but I can use a 302 if I can find one.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available