Print Thread
Rate Thread
#29938 06/30/03 10:57 PM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I'm having trouble with my turn signals. I've got a '54 Chev. 2-door sedan that's converted to 12v. When I changed from 6 to 12v, I changed all of my bulbs and my flasher. The turn signals worked fine for a few years.
My problem is, I keep blowing the in-line fuse in the turn signal circuit. When I changed the fuse yesterday, I noticed the wire coming out of the fuse holder had fallen out. So, I soldered the wire back in and replaces the fuse (I'm using a 20Amp fuse). Now, when I turn on the ignition, both turn arrows in the dash light up. When I flip the lever (right or left) both arrows flash. This doesn't make all the turn signals on the exterior flash, though. And, when they flash (right or left) they start out at the normal tempo for the first couple flashes, then the tempo increases.
I've got a basic understanding of automotive wiring, but this one I haven't figured out. When your flashers blink fast, that usually means there's increased resistance in the circuit causing the element in the flasher to heat up faster. And I thought if I have a bad ground, that would be more resistance, but why would both dash arows blink? Is it possible that if one ground is bad, it could backfeed thru the other indicator to find a ground on the other leg of the circuit? That would add another element to the circuit, increasing the resistance. But wouldn't that only be the case when turning to one direction?
I'm going to go check all of my grounds in the circuit, and try putting my spare flasher in. But any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

#29939 07/01/03 12:42 AM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
O.k. Update for you. I just went out to the garage and checked all of my connections. I did find one that was nasty, so I cleaned it up good, then tried the turn signals again... Now they blink @ the normal rate (about twice per second), but that's only until the fuse blows. And both indicators are still blinking all the time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you blow a fuse, isn't that an indication that you've got a short to ground between the fuse an the load, which then makes the fuse the load and blows it?
HELP!!!

#29940 07/01/03 02:58 AM
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
If you are continually blowing the same fuse then that usually indicates a short to ground. I'm not familiar with the wiring for a '54, so I could be wrong with some of this. The power running to the indicators is switched, so it should operate off of the same power supply. I would check the indicator power wires as soon as they come out of the steering column to see if both of the wires(left and right) have power. If they both have power (when you have your blinker on) the you know that the problem would be in the steering column. If only one wire has power then check at the bulbs, etc. Electrical problems are a process of elimination. Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, it's kinda late here. Good luck. John.

'68 C-10 - 250 with Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, Offy intake, Hedman headers and true duals, HEI, MSD 6A box, relocated gas tank
Soon to have: T-5 tranny

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available