Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
I had excelent references from my super coil (the big yellow coil) from Accel. I have one in my Datsun car, and had them before. Now, in my 6 in line, I installed a MSD 6A box, as well as a dist. I have a small accel coil, the one that looks like any other coil, except it is yellow,supposed to be better than stock , but not as good as a super coil or any performance one,but I am wondering, to accompany the MSD set up and allow to fully develop the MSD set up, should I go for theMSD Blaster II MSD(red coil, same size as any other coil) or the Accel Super coil(big yelow coil)? I've seen the specs on the Blaster, up to 45000 volts , but there is no reference to the Accel's voltage anywhere.. The larger size of the Accel tells me the wiring for the transfer of secondary voltage could be much better, but, I want some facts, if anybody knows, let's find out.

Jaime.

later.___________________________

232 6cyl*Weber 32/36*6 into 2 headers*MSD distributor*MSD 6A ignition box*MSD spiral ign cables*ACCEL super coil.
O
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
O
I am running one of the new style MSD Blaster SS coils (E-core style) and am quite happy with it, they are rated at 40k volts and 300 milliamps FWI

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have ran the Blaster2 and was Very Happy with it.when i was running Points in the car. Now I'm running a full HEI and I'm useing a Proform in cap coil 4500-5000 volt.(i'd have to look it up to be sure which that it is.)}[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Quite honestly, either of them will do the job just fine. I've got an older Accel canister type coil, that's been abused to no end and it still work's fine. I've recently gotten an MSD setup. and it cam ewith the Blaster 2, so I'm going to use it. Hope this helps. John

'68 C-10 - 250 with Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, Offy intake, Hedman headers and true duals, HEI, MSD 6A box, relocated gas tank
Soon to have: T-5 tranny
T
Contributor
Contributor
T
if u are running a MSD 6a ignition u should get a MSD blaster coil...i have seen some that are made for the MSD ignition and also for stock ignition...i dont know what the difference is but i also think the MSD is 45K volts as apposed to 40K...i have also seen coils that give up to 70K volts...but that definitely would be too much for a street system...if u dont mind spending the extra few buck i would say get the MSD...but acell is just as good of a brand...but i think keeping the same brand of something the same...if u run full MSD ignition the i would recommed the MSD coil...although it really doesnt matter a whole lot i'm sure...just keeps brands together which is sometimes a good thing...

got my 78 merc with a 250 I6 and i love it.
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Yes guys, I think that the MSD, if not proven superior to the ACCEL, at least is the same brand, so, I might have to stick to that one, the blaster II MSD.
Later.____________________

232 6cyl*Weber 32/36*6 into 2 headers*MSD distributor*MSD 6A ignition box*MSD spiral ign cables*ACCEL super coil.
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
The guys at Summitt Performance told me that the Accel Super Coil(big basket type coil) delivers 55,000 volts, the MSD Blaster II delivers 45,000 volts.
I have to check the inductance/resistance on both to see which one actually is smoother, less resistance.
Later.___________________________________

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
i can only speak on my own experiance,but having run both the yellow accel,and the blaster II,i prefer the blaster2,i run a stock ignition,with a slightly hotter plug,once the blaster 2 went in,the engine idles smoother,and i get slightly better milage.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Are all you guys getting ready to run at bonneville or something??
Here is an excerpt from a web page I have placed below.

"It takes about 12-14,000 volts to initiate the spark across the plug gap. After the initial arc the voltage required to sustain the arc is much less and drops off significantly. So while you may have a manufacturer claimed 60,000 volt racing coil you can't actually get that across the plug. Since the advantage of CDI is the higher coil output, how does that get used. Well, normally it doesn't. The extra power possible in the coil is "Reserve Voltage". As the plugs wear, fouling, plug wires and connections get worse then the required firing voltage may go up 1-5,000 volts. So the "hotter" CDI coil output can help overcome these obstacles and the ignition system will last longer. So, its not that its working better.... but rather lasting longer that makes a hot coil good. The ideal coil output needed for normal applications is about 30,000 volts.

High RPM / High Compression / Racing applications: Newer techniques are being used to increase spark output. Additionally, CDI typically has a very short spark duration near 10-12 microseconds. As discussed you can't push more than about 20,000 volt across the plug without other stange phenomenon happening. If you were to try you would see arcing down the side of the plug, across carbon buildups at the electrode end, out any weak points in the wire insulation, connections, etc... So how do you get a better spark? Newer ignitions (like MSD-5 for example) are outputting a finely controlled multiple spark pattern into the plug. Instead of one big spark a shower of short duration sparks are flooded across the combustion stroke. This makes for a much more efficient burn. Using this technique newer CDI can achieve longer spark duration times (near 250). This is particularly better for starting, lean mixtures (which are hard to ignite), and high compression situations."

How Ignitions Work
Covers all types of ignitions and tells you how they work. It just might help you decide what you really need and what is beyond excessive.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
is anyone running an HEI with an external coil? If so can i have a model number of the coil to use either msd or accel. Thanks

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available