Print Thread
Rate Thread
#31122 02/18/03 12:06 AM
O
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
O
have what i believe to be a 250 c.i. inline six in a 1966 Chevy pickup. But, after steaming, the factory color of block and exhaust seem to be green. Does anyone know if they painted any 250's green. I have good photos, but no website...not sure if its ok, or how to post them.

#31123 02/18/03 01:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SixPac,

It's perfectly fine to post pictures here, as long as they don't exceed the frame size of the page. See the "Frequently Asked Questions" to get the UBB code to insert your image (which must be on a web site somewhere).

Most rebuilt engines get a fresh coat of paint and shops usually use whatever paint they happen to have around. Have you checked the "Casting Numbers" page on this site to get a positive ID on your engine?

#31124 02/27/03 06:14 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
250's didn't get painted green from the factory. Some of the early 292's were shot with Detroit Diesel green, also known as Allison Green. You can still buy that color at NAPA.

The easiest way to tell between a 292 and the other size motors is to measure the tappet side covers. The 292's is about 5 inches tall (wider than your hand is) and the others, 194, 230, 250's are about 3.5 to 4 inches tall. Or you can look at the distance between the top of the water pump and the bottom of the head. A 292 has about 1.5 inches difference, while the others are something over 1/4 inch.

The 292 my '63 came with has recieved a green paint job every time I've refreshed the motor. I get way too many comments on how ugly it is to paint it any other! The factory 250's were all Chevy orange until they came out with that corporate blue (now it's my turn to say yuk!)

I do agree about the possibility of a rebuilder shooting the engine with whatever they had or whatever the customer thought was cool.

David
newbie #4153
#31125 04/22/03 01:45 AM
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
When I first got my 74 Chevy truck it had a 250 engine that was painted a wierd alien green color. My choice of color is Chevy orange. I have chrome push rod covers and a chrome valve cover along with yellow Accel wires with black pullys and misc. brackets. The reponse from friends and asscociates has been very gratifying.

The choice is totally up to you as too what to paint your engine. If it's a restoration, a stock color may be your choice. If it's a daily modified driver you like to show off, paint it what you want. Hopefully for those that may not like your color choice they will keep their comments to their self!

What ever you do, enjoy the drive!

8's are great, but a 6 is sweet...
#31126 10/06/04 12:20 AM
K
kip Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
Im putting a 250 in my 48 chevy, and it was originaly blue. Dont know if this is the correct color, but was told it was the original motor.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available