Print Thread
Rate Thread
#282 06/18/03 03:16 PM
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I have a ragged '74 Chevy pick up with a good six and a nice '51 Styleline Deluxe with a tired six. Has anyone done this swap? I would like to use as much of the '74 as possible, engine, tranny, rear end, etc. Just looking, the motor mounts are way different. Also, will the '51 clutch linkage match up with the '74 clutch, etc. HELP!
Trapper

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Sorry, but its not as easy as you are probably thinking.

The truck rearend will be too wide and the wrong bolt pattern. Try looking for a 55-64 car or 68-newer Nova or Camaro (double check on width before $$$). The 55-57 will be a "bolt-in" the others will need to have the mounting changed.
If your truck has a 3spd, then hooking it up to the original shifter mechanism on the column shouldn't be a problem, some fab work will be required though.
The 250 is longer than a 216 so there may be issues with radiator clearances. Also motor mounts will need to be made. Not sure, but somebody may make a kit to put one of this in this chassis, try Chassis Engineering or Buffalo??? Throttle linkage, firewall braces, exhaust, etc... will be issues. The "K" member under the car may need to be modified. Driveshaft will need to be made, emergency brake cables, etc....
You will want to convert it over to 12 volts also. Hooking up the clutch fork to the original pedal assembly will probably need to be modified also, the '51 comes out at an angle, the '74 would come straight out the side.

I.I. #3174
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Thanks Gearhead, I knew it would not be a "drop in". Maybe that's why there are so many V8's installed, just as much trouble. Do you know if the motor mounts in the '74 are the same as a V8? I can get V8 mounts from a local shop to bolt into the '51. Already at 12 volts so that's not a problem. Also, already have Offy two pot intake and Fenton headers mounted on the 216. Had an idea, have full access to a good machine shop, wonder if anyone ever made a billet type adaptor plate, (spacer) to mount these manifolds on a later engine. I don't see why it could not be done. You say the 250 is longer and that might be a problem but a 1 inch or so thick machined and drilled plate should make up the difference. Drill at an angle to align the ports, etc. Recess allen bolts for attachments. Also already running an electric fan in front of the radiator so maybe clearance won't be a problem there. How about hop up stuff for the 250, any suggestions there? Would like to keep this Chevy a six as all the shows and cruise ins I go to have a whole herd of V8's and I don't want to be one of the herd. But would like to have a little punch in the six.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
I don't know if the mounts (rubber part) are the same. but if you ask the local parts store what there listing for a '74 250 includes, you should have your answer. There is more than one way to do the mounts, cut the '74's out and adapt them to the '51, buy some aftermarket ones, or make your own.
Too much Rube Goldberg for me on that intake idea. You would be better off selling the intake on Ebay, then take the money and buy a used 250 4bbl Offy or Clifford.
As for the radiator clearance, you have both setups, so just take a tape measure and find out for yourself what kind of room you have.
Like most any basic hopup, cam, headers and 4bbl carb is the way to go. get a copy of Leo's book on building the 250 series of engines. Plenty of info to get you started. Look in the "Club Stuff" section.

I.I. #3174

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available