Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Mase Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
M
I have a newbie question. What brand or type of engine stand do you guys use? I only have experience with V8's and my inline 6 will probably tip over a regular stand right? It is a Pontiac 250cid Firebird Sprint (1969) and it has never had a rebuild. I plan on completing a full restoration for the entire OEM motor and I will need a steady stande to rotate it and hold it for long periods of time.

TIA

Mase

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Build your own.Four wheels with longer legs so it's more stable.Most engine stands sold at discount auto parts stores are light duty (junk).I know a fellow that had one break and destroy a customers rebuild Ford flathead engine.
EvilDr235

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Absolutely use a stand with four wheels on long legs as EVILDR235 suggest. I nearly lost a bare L6 block on a narrow leg stand, but was saved because the block was still attached to the lift.You may also need a verticle leg brace under
the block since it will put increased weight on the stand as you rebuild it. I've noticed some site members use a length of 2x4 for this.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
If it was just a Ford Flathead, no great loss, unless he was planning to us it for a boat anchor anyway.

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
nothern tool and equipment co catalog has a 1250-lb 4 leg stand for $70.oo, and a 2000-lb folding engine stand for $80.00. either would be alot safer than a $35.00 unit. SAFETY first. Bob

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
This one is a little expensive, but one person can safely turn a 292 over without problems.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SUN-8300G.html

Inliner #1916
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
Look in the Sept/Oct 2003 issue of 12 Port News. They have an article on making an adaptor to mount an L6 sideways on an engine stand. I also have a 1969 Sprint OHC, and several donor engines. I'am putting it in a 1962 Nova.

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
I recently purchased a complete 250 and needed another stand to put it on. So I decided to try out the Harbor Freight 2000 pound capacity engine stand . I was very pleased. After mounting my engine, I lifted the back of the stand to see if it would tip to one side. It did not. It felt very secure. Also, the extra support staps that extend from the engine mount point keep the engine pointing straight and level.

For comparison, my 292 is on a "T" shapped engine stand made of 6 inch square tubbing. But even with all this strength, the front of the engine sags. Also, I easly knocked my engine over the first time I tried to move it.

So, which ever stand you choose, make sure that it has reinforcement on the upright to prevent engine sag. And make sure it has 4 wheels that are spaced as wide as possible from each other.

David Starnes
Member #3983
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Mase ----- Sent you 3 pics of the modified stand that I made useing my old stand.This is the first time I Emailed pics , hoping it works Bob B

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available