Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
nogo69 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
Well i thought i would share this story with some car guys.

In about 1984 when i was about 6 my dad brought home a car for us both to work on and he gives it to me.We worked on this car until about 1990. When my dads bodyshop went under and our home was forclosed on we had to sell it. Needless to say these were hard times and i understood, however that didnt stop me from being heartbroken about the whole mess.This car always lingered in the back of my mind and in 1995 or so i tried to buy it back from the guy who my dad had sold it to but he wasnt selling.I had a lot of good memories surounding that car.It was my very first car it was also the first car i ever worked on i had done a lot of body work on it with my dad.
Fast forward to 3 days ago i walked into my buddy's body shop and there it was the EXACT SAME CAR AND IT WAS FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was doing cart wheels on the inside!!! The guy my dad sold it to still owned it and he was asking 1500 for it but it was in double rough shape because the years had not been kind! I managed to get it for 1000 which was still to much in my opinion but hey i would have given 2500 for the car just because it was the one!!!
Here it is after a 18 year absence and it sitting in my garage!!! 1949 chevy 2 door coupe......

When im done.

Im want to know what engine is in it also but i cant find a # or anything on the block the head casting appears to be 8836848 but not sure because the numbers look different every time i look at them but the intake manifold # is 8764844. I ve been told it was a 53, 54 ,55 L 6 but im not sure. 235??? HELP!

"FRAGEELEE must be italian"
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
As a son who worked on cars with his dad,and a dad who workes on cars with his sons I'm happy for you, That car without personal history is well worth a $1,000 and more today. Check the "casting#" on this site. Basically if the rocker/valve cover is held on by 2 studs through the top it's a 216. If it's held on by 4 screws at it's base it's a 235. It's not quite that simple but numbers will tell you for sure. Thanks for the happy story!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Many of us have "been there." Few of us have been so blessed as to "get it back" after so many years, when we can do what needs to be done and make up for all that lost time.

May it be as good as you remember it, and as fine as you have dreamed it.

i think that head number is a 235--and the head is "the good one." It would fit on a 261 with minor modifications.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
That's Great! I',m happy for you. Wish I could find Pops' '69 Vette. Glad someone is lucky enough to find them.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Nice story nogo, I'm happy for you to have regained a part of your past that you have such fond memories of.

I've got my Dad's '62 VW in my garage that he gave me back in 1995.He bought it new when I was just a toddler. LOTS of good memories in that 'ol Bug.The wife thinks I'm nuts keeping it....she says it's an old rusted bucket of bolts,and that I should junk it but to us "car nuts" the notion of doing that is unthinkable.

My ambition is to restore it someday (91,000 original miles).....yes, it is a bit deteriorated
from exposure to the elements, but it can be done.Right now finances are not doing well so it's not a possibility...but I can still dream that one day I will be able to do it, and if that happens it will be well worth it.

Thanks for sharing your story,

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil