Hey folks (Hudson? Del?) I just obtained a spare engine. Hauled it home in the trunk of my coupe, where it's being stripped of all parts.
I plan to rebuild it with all the performance mods described by Hudson, plus anything else I can think of.
Got a spare camshaft that's going to be sent to Edgarton for a performance regrind, I'll be taking my dremel tool to the ports, cleaning them up, and matching them to my Edmunds intake and Fenton exhaust.
The head is off now, and I measure 3.285 bore with my vernier caliper. According to the '49 shop manual, oversize pistons were available in +.005 +.020 +.030 +.040 and +.060. I haven't checked for taper or out-of-round, but I'm assuming this one is +.030. The bores look healthy, no ridge, but slight rust at the top of some of them. I'm hoping not to have to do anything more than light honing and new rings. Haven't looked at the bottom end yet, but I'm thinking if that needs attention, I'd like to try having it ground offset for a slight increase in stroke. That's in addition to the crankshaft oilway mods described by Hudson.
Hudson, I'd like to talk to you off the forum, can you email me at carlbest@excite.com .

I'd like to hear any suggestions that can be offfered from anyone.

thanks