Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
searth Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
chevy 230 l6. Stock. The following are all questions. My harmonic balancer needs to be replaced i think because the timin mark is on the other side of where it should be wehn i strobe it. The light is on cylinder one when I strobe. I will need to set tdc manually and then replace the balancer or replace the rubber grommet between the pulley and the balancer. I have not done this since my days in mechanic shop class in college and even then it was on a F*rd 6 cyl and even then it was on a engine stand and not in the car. is there some rubber between the HB and the pulley that wears out? So can I just replace that? or should i order a new harmonic balncer? does anyone know the procedure for removal of the Harmonic Balancer?

what to look for. I understand there is a key and a specific way it needs to go on????

i.e remove the radiator then fan blade then pulley then pull balancer with puller. and reinstal with balancer installer and reverse order etc...

engine is a 6cyl 230 all stock aside from the fact that it is a 230 and not a 194.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

63 Inline 230 ci 6 Nova
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Inertia rings do walk on L6. When they walk, it's time to replace the whole thing. You just cannot replace the rubber alone. Take the radiator, fan, then get a pulley remover extract the older damper and then put another one there. Makes no diff the engine model, 194/230/250, all the same.

Alexandre Garcia
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
If you can't find a replacement or want to rebuild yours go to www.damperdoctor.com. They're in Redding,CA.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You will also need a SHORT puller and you may also need to un hook the motor mounts to lift the motor. So That The puller will clear the lowwer rad Mount. As for reinstalling the dampener, AND I HATE to even say this you will need to hammer it back On.( and there isn't much room to swing the hammer either) UNLESS you drill the Crank For The right tool to Press it back On the crank.
Hope this helps }[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Classic Industries carries a replacement 6 cyl balancer (part #G5089):

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZT...ssic_Industries

Jim

S
searth Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Thanks for the help everyone, I will see if I can find one locally.

63 Inline 230 ci 6 Nova
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
www.damperdoctor.com

Q: Were they used to be known as Damper Dudes?

While the dampers might interchange they're not all the same so check what you find for number of pulley grooves and alignment so you don't have to revamp your pulley system too.
Check the rubber real good too.
I also have a foggy memory of Chevy changing the timing tab which I think moves the timing mark on the balancer. That's easy to fix though.

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available