Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
hello all. I just recently joined this board. Some of you on this board already know me but to those who don't. I have a 1950 Plymouth Business Coupe that I am working on and improving apon. Most up to date improvements include Milling the head, Adding ARP studs lowering it, new floors and new brakes.

Currently I am am adding a Fenton two carb intake..

HEY if anyone has an extra Carter Ball and Ball D6H2 Carb I need it!! Let me know. Please! I am having a hard time finding a mate for the intake.

Okay all that aside. For X-mas this year I got an electric fuel pump. I would like to eliminate the mechanical one for relability issues. The model I got was Holley Red 12-801-1. It is a 97 gph (free flow) and 65 gph under 5 psi pump. I chose this model because I can run it without having to run a fule regulator (supposedly).

Now the Question--- Where do I mount this thing in accordance to the fuel tank? It is not feesable to run this pump next to the tank for it will interfere with the rear suspension. My next option is to run it on the other side of the rear suspension closer to the front of the car and mount it on the frame rail. Is this too far from the fuel tank? The instructions for this pump say that it is a pusher type pump so it needs to be gravity fed in order to get its supply. Did I get the wrong kind of pump for this application?

Thanks any help is appreciated.

Justin

1950 Plymouth Business Coupe
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
The pump should be mounted as close as possible to the tank, and lower then the fuel level in the tank. That said, it is not necessary to be anal about it. Find a convient place near the rear of the vehicle and as low as possible, but protected.
That is the correct style pump for your application.

Charlie
65 Valiant 170 /6 turbo
66 Cuda 170 /6 Nitroused
66 Valiant 225 /6 Nitrous
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Thanks Chalie_S. Naw I am not trying to be anal about it I am just trying to be informed. Measure twice cut once.

Thanks I think I am actually going to return the pump for a Stewart Warner one. I have gotten some responses on how bad of a product the Holley Red Pumps are.

Justin

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Didn't mean you were being "anal" about. Just meant, it is not super critical.

Charlie
65 Valiant 170 /6 turbo
66 Cuda 170 /6 Nitroused
66 Valiant 225 /6 Nitrous
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Oh hey no offense Charrlie_S. No worries.

Justin

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Justin I'm running that exact pump on my car and location space was at a premium for me too. The location ended up with the pump in front of the tank and the fuel inlet to the pump about 3 inches higher than the bottom of the tank itself.
In over 10,000 miles of driving I've had no problems and more than a few times run the tank down to almost the E on my gas gauge without so much as a burp from the pump. The Holley red pump doesn't need any sort of regulator.

I can offer 3 tips from my experience: First, this pump is NOISEY so be sure to mount it as cushioned as possible. The little rubber strip that comes with it doesn't do much. Second, fit the hot and lead wires of the pump into a 2 prong Weatherpak connection from your local parts store and solder the wires to the terminals. Give the ground wire a good solid ground connection on the frame. Now you have eliminated any under the car moisture caused electrical gremlins. Third, be sure to run the power to the pump through an oil pressure safety switch that will not let the pump continue to operate if the engine stalls. Mr Gasket has a nice unit with both a N/C and N/O set of contacts and you can use a spare 12V three prong headlight socket to make up the wiring to it. That pump doesn't require a relay and you can wire it all with 14 gauge wire.

Hope this may be some help for you.

Mike

Mike G #4355
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Hey thanks Mike G! Excellent information..

Justin

P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
Justin
There is a carb on ebay item 4516114046
that I think is the match you want.
Terry

K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
Carburetors re fuel injection for the Flattie

i have a 47 fargo 1/2 ton with the long motor, the 251. For those of you are interested, i have designed custom intake and exhaust for my motor.
Added the complete throttle body fuel injection and electronic ignition and computer from a chevy vortech V6 4.3 liter.
it runs and looks fantastic. no more warming up the old girl with choke and trottle cable. just turn the key and go!
If any one is interested i can post pictures and how too

John

Contributor
Contributor
Post the pics and info! I'd like to see the setup...

Pete

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
like blueskies, i would really like to see more on karenfargo's engine! particularly since i haven't started mine yet, so i'm still uncommitted as to how i will proceed. since mine's going to be a daily driver, i am particularly interested in the reliability of fuel injection and hei ignition.

i'm really interested in your manifold setups, too. is it something anyone can do?

oh, and blueskies, where did you get the edgy head? how big a performance difference does it make?

Contributor
Contributor
 Quote:
oh, and blueskies, where did you get the edgy head? how big a performance difference does it make?
59- The head is available from Earl Edgerton, http://www.visionquestwebdesign.com/edgycams/

The head has a 9:1 compresssion ratio, up from 7:1 on a stock head.

Pete

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Hi Justin,......

about the electric fuel pump,....for what it's worth I installed one on my 41 Fargo,.....pump is out of a mid 80's Honda,.....no relay required,....when it's running it only clicks,......mounted it on the left front splash guard near the master cylinder,......been operating there for past 8 years or so.
Hope you found one that works for your application.

Cheers
Bob.

glasspaks.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement