Rate Thread
#37020 02/20/07 12:12 PM
L
Leif Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
L
I was reading in a Ford flathead book about enlarging the exhaust ports and adding a divider. They have a similar situation to our intakes (2 cyl for one port). It made me wonder about making a really big port, dividing it in two and having an individual runner manifold perhaps with webers. These carbs are pretty reasonable on e-bay (especially the types used on VW’s' and there are a lot of books on tuning them). Anybody know how big the intakes can be made before you strike water?
Thanks!
Leif

#37021 02/20/07 01:29 PM
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Hi Lief,

I enlarged all my ports with a dremel tool and lots of grind stones, then finished with a flapper. They are not much bigger for fear of striking water but they are much smoother. It's a messy job, but could be done with a die grinder also,....wear a face mask and eye protection. And a 3 angle valve job will help with flow.

Bob,

glasspaks.
#37022 05/19/07 07:52 PM
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
This used to be a common hop up trick on engines with siamesed intake ports.

Funny story. Colin Chapman started out racing a home made sports car in a class for Ford 4 cylinder flathead engines. The port divider was a common hop up trick. Then the racing rules committee banned block modifications including the port dividers. So Colin welded the dividers onto his intake manifold. Presto, the same result with no block modifications!@ ha ha ha.

All you need to do is make a divider of sheet steel and weld it into the port. Then make an intake manifold with separate ports.

I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available