Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
rml127 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I'm very close to ordering a split exhaust manifold from George Asche for my 38 plymouth. Before I do I have to go to a garage to talk to them about bending up the pipes. What size pipe should I get? I'm really considering going with straight pipe for now with no mufflers to see how it sounds. I figure I could always add them later if it doesn't sound good. I'm also a little worried about placement of the tailpipes, the original one exits between the spring and the gas tank. There isn't room on the drivers side to put it in the same location. I want them to come out on each side of the car. Do I need anything else besides exhaust manifold gaskets to change this? It looks like I will have to pull the intake too. I would love some input on doing this, I want it to look and sound right.

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
I have just put a split exhaust in my '49 Coronet. I had a local welder put in the second outlet but most are just like what George does. You will have to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds to get this done. Take your time. Get a service manual if you can. I would go with the original size on the exhaust. I ran my duals together and they both come out on the passenger side. I have seen others do what your talking about even adding y's to side pipes. Muffler shops can do a lot of things that you wouldn't think possible. Go ahead and put in some sort of mufflers. I run a couple of short glasspacks and I'm satisfied. Straight pipes will sound cool the first couple of days but you will become annoyed with them. You might try visiting these guys they have a lot of experience and tech advice for these old mopars. http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Langdon's may sell headers for those.

Check with him too.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
Contributor
Contributor
I RAN 2" IN AND 2" OUT ON MY 52 CHRYSLER AND USED PORTER STEEL PACK MUFFLERS. I HAVE USED THESE FOR YEARS AND I FEEL THEY ARE THE BEST SOUNDING MUFFLERS ON SIX BANGERS OR V-8`S.BABLER MUFFLER SHOP IN MOUND MINNESOTA MAKES THEM---YOU WON`T BE SORRY. 612-472-2522. GOOD LUCK.......52ER

One should live as if you sold the family parrot to the town gossip....Will Rogers
R
rml127 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I ordered my split manifold from George Asche today, I can't wait to get it. I'm still not positive what size pipes I will use. I think I'm going to try a couple of small glasspacks first and see how they sound. They are cheap enough so if I don't like it it's not a big loss. I may just stick with the 1 3/4 pipes so I can use the original one thats there now.

Contributor
Contributor
I used 2" pipe and a pair of smithy's. Ran them both all the way out on the passenger side, because of the gas tank offset to the drivers side.

You can see photos and sound clips on my site, www.50plymouth.com

Pete

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Blueskies,

I did the same thing with a 6 cylinder '51 Ford, years ago. Those Smitty's can't be beat as far as I'm concerned. Later, I re-did the pipes, running each out of different sides, just behind the rear wheels. It never sounded as nice with the shorter pipes.

Loved your site! Great job on the car, too. I hope to build a MOPAR 230 soon.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
rml,

I've met ol' George and he's a fine fellow. I'm sure you'll be happy with anything he sells you. He knows his flathead MOPARS!

My wife and I drove out to meet him and see his shop.............got the grand tour and a ride in his DeSoto roadster, what a great time we had!

R
rml127 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Blueskies, I have listened to your exhaust at least a dozen times. Actually,you are to blame for this, after hearing your's I have to put duals on mine. I want my pipes to exit on either side of the car, I'm hoping it will split the sound up a little more.

Dennis, aren't you the one who posted the photo's of Georges work?

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Nope, but someone did. I think it might have been Don Coatney. I can't seem to get a photo posted.

The problem is, my technology hasn't progressed past about 1959, manual typewriters and penny loafers. I just turned 67 and can't force myself to get interested in anything newer than what I grew up with. Wife says I'm 67 going on 17 ....so mentally, I'm still back in '57! Right where I'd like to be.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:
Nope, but someone did. I think it might have been Don Coatney. I can't seem to get a photo posted.

The problem is, my technology hasn't progressed past about 1959, manual typewriters and penny loafers. I just turned 67 and can't force myself to get interested in anything newer than what I grew up with. Wife says I'm 67 going on 17 ....so mentally, I'm still back in '57! Right where I'd like to be.
I'd say you progressed, your using a computer, right?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Follow this link for several George Asche pictures.
Don Coatney

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v65/DonCoatney/George%20Asche/?start=all

Don Coatney
Contributor
Contributor
 Quote:
Originally posted by rml127:
Blueskies, I have listened to your exhaust at least a dozen times. Actually,you are to blame for this, after hearing your's I have to put duals on mine. I want my pipes to exit on either side of the car, I'm hoping it will split the sound up a little more.
One thing to note, I have a crossover pipe just ahead of my smithy's, which mellows and evens the tone a bit. Without the crossover, it would be louder and a bit more "blatty". After hearing several of these engines with the smithy's since I did mine, I wonder at times if I should have put the crossover in. It's nice on long haul road trips though, it doesn't get tiring to me at all.

Pete

R
rml127 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I just went to the shop doing my exhaust and it's almost done, he said it sounds good. I'm going back in a half hour to get it. I didn't do the crossover, I want to hear it first without it. He ran both sides down the passenger side like your's and then split them. He managed to move the gas tank over a little so he could make both tailpipes exit out the back between the springs and the gas tank. It looks tight, but he said it won't touch or rattle. He did a pretty good job from what I saw so far, I'm worried what the bill will be, he's been working on it all day long.

R
rml127 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Well, I picked up the car last night and it does sound pretty good, it's fairly quiet at idle and then barks a little when it's revved up. The bad part was they charged me $498 for the 2" pipe a few clamps and labor. That means it cost me $800 to add dual exhaust. The worse news is I noticed the pipes banging into something when I drove it. I filled the gas tank and then it really started banging. When I got home I could see that the driver's side tailpipe was hitting the spring in two places and the bad banging was from where he ran a pipe over the top of the rearend pumpkin, it hits terrible there. I told him I planned to lower the car a little, the pipe would really hit then. I also noticed one muffler hangs quite a bit lower than the other, that will be a problem with a lowered car. His welds looked like hell too. Needless to say I'm very dissapointed in what I paid for compaired to the quality I got. I stopped there this morning and told the guy who did it about the problems I found and he said he would fix it. He's going to have to raise one muffler and redo the tailpipes to go under the gas tank like I asked him in the first place. Once I get it straightened out I will try to get a sound clip of it somehow.

Contributor
Contributor
rml-

Sorry to hear your new exhaust wasn't up to par...

I had to have mine redone too, it was hitting in several places, and continues to hit the pumpkin on extreme suspension travel...

Hope you get it straightened out...

Pete

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
On the subject of exhaust pipe clearance, on my '41 Plymouth woodie, in order to provide enough room under the car where the exhaust pipe goes over the rear axle, the manufacturer of the wooden body just cut a square hole in the rear wood floor to give an additional 3/4" of space and then nailed down a piece of sheetmatel to cover the hole. I had three '41 Plymouth woodie parts cars and they all had the same "hi-tech" solution to the clearance problem.
Jim Yergin

R
rml127 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
The guy fixed it like he said he would and so far it hasn't rubbed or hit. It definately could have been better quality. I noticed several pipe joints leaking where he missed the welds, I just welded them up myself. Now that all that is over and I have calmed down I have to say I think it sounds really good, I have to show my wife how to drive it so I can here how it sounds when it goes down the road. I have a digital camcorder, if I record a video is it easy to post? I have never done it and don't have a clue.

R
rml127 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I think these short steel packs are the ones I used, I picked them at at the Syracuse Nationals brand new for $20 a piece but they didn't have a name on them. When I'm driving the car they don't sound much louder than the stock system from inside. Behind the car they sound great and my buddy followed me home and said they sounded really good going down the road.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_speed-mellowtone.htm

R
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by rml127
The guy fixed it like he said he would and so far it hasn't rubbed or hit. It definitely could have been better quality. I noticed several pipe joints leaking where he missed the welds, I just welded them up myself. Now that all that is over and I have calmed down I have to say I think it sounds really good, I have to show my wife how to drive it so I can here how it sounds when it goes down the road. I have a digital camcorder, if I record a video is it easy to post? I have never done it and don't have a clue.
If you record it from the camera to your computer, you can then upload it to a whole host of hosting sites... Imageshack or Tinypic or Youtube. Then post the link here.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available