Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
52er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have a chance to pick up an NOS head and crank--my question is the crank, aren`t they to be stored standing up or doesn`t it make any difference? I already have an extra 265 so I may pass on them unless someone here may be interested---any takers?

One should live as if you sold the family parrot to the town gossip....Will Rogers
52er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Well the guy got back to me---Nos head and CAMSHAFT--sorry on the miss info. The head measures right but doesn`t say Spitefire Here are some #`s --raised letters--10019 stamped--1327236 or 5. Part# on box MX51738 Camshaft #`s stamped CWC864241---Part# on box 1869392---Anybody know what it fits??

One should live as if you sold the family parrot to the town gossip....Will Rogers
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
What does the head measure? A friend bought a NOS Mopar long block head a couple years back and it measured 1.930" thick. I used his measurements to measure a Spitfire head I plan to install on my engine. My head measured the same as his new one so I surmised it had not been milled. I have sence shaved this pictured head .030" and it is ready to install.

Don Coatney
52er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Don, finally got the measurements on that NOS head--1.910. Question is how much would you shave off the head or combination of block deck to bring the compression up to 8. I may not use this head and will use my Spitfire one. The other casting is blank---non cool.

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
This chart is na good guideline. I have heard of folks shaving .100" off. Is your cam stock?

Don Coatney
52er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Don, the engine is a 54 Chrysler 265 and it appears to be in good shape--spins freely and hardly a ridge--the water dist tube looked new. The pistons wern`t marked so I assume they are standard---thinks we have a good builder matey. I will be running dual carbs and don`t know really what to use for a cam???Looking for a snorter but still good enough to cruise all day at 60-75mph. Just got my Wicap adapter for the T-5 and will be running the same set-up for gears as you use. I guess I am looking for --how much can a guy do to the engine and still keep it a nice driver---any thoughts......Thanks 52er

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
I did not know Wilcap made an adaptor. Let me know how it works out.

My engine is a 251 Desoto bored .030" over for 255 cubic inches. My cam was reground by Earl Edgerton 260 duration @.410 lift both intake and exhaust. I currently am running dual Carter B&B's, and a dual point distributor. Differential is 3.55/1. At 70 MPH in overdrive my engine spins as 2200 RPM's. This past June I drove my car from middle Tennessee to Tulsa, OK and back running interstate speeds with no problems. In September I drove to Charlotte, South Carolina and back once again running freeway speeds of 70+. Only problem I had was my oil pressure regulator stuck on the way to Charlotte. I have a friend with a car lift in Charlotte and drove to his house. Removed the oil pressure plunger and polished off a slight burr. Fixed the problem in all of about 1/2 hour. I have put around 10,000 miles on my engine and it is dependable.

You are lucky to have a 265 CI engine. I wish I had found one instead of the 251.

Don Coatney
52er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Don,I had a chance to talk to George Asch about the carbs I am using and he wasn`t to helpful as he hasn`t used them. I told him what I wanted for perfomance on the engine and he recomended taking 60-70 thou off the head--bore the engine 60 over and have the cam reground for a 380 lift. I will be going to the HEI that Langdon`s offers. As far as the Wicap unit, my buddy has used it in his 38 Ply and it worked great. You use a Chev bell and there is a clutch kit offered with a 10 3/8 disc and the pressure plate is a standard V-8. I found the kit thru my local parts store--I can get the 800# if anyone is interested---this is for the NWC T-5--one inch--14 spline. You use the adapter to mount your new motor mounts to---I will show pics when I finish. Using the Ford 9 inch rear then gives me the opportunity to have an E-brake. The T-5 is such a great unit for the old flat heads because of the OD. The original 265 in the car now runs fine and I will do all the mods for the driveline and carbs on it, then transfer them to the spiffed up 54 engine later. I would post pics here but don`t know how?? Not real computer savay---what do you think of George`s suggestions on the engine?? Thanks...52er

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
If you use a Cheby bell housing what are you doing for rear engine mounts? On Your Crashler I believe the bell housing is the rear engine mount.

Don Coatney
52er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Don, ya know if I could post pics it would be better but I don`t know how to do it. I know how to send them e-mail---could do that if you like?? The adapter comes down a little farther below the bell and it is used to make your own mounts. It has holes drilled at the bottom to make a plate that is bolted to the adapter then to your new frame mount. I could take pics of my buddy`s set-up on his 38---we are going to do the same on my 52, it`s just a little wider between the frame rails...........52er

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available