Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37484 01/12/08 11:13 PM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I am going to be getting a quote on Monday about a local machine shop to machine and rebuilt my 251 flathead out of my 46 Chrysler 3 window coupe. One thing I need to know and tell him is what I want to do to help out the performance on this thing... What would you recommend for machining and cam wise, etc to get it to perform much better than stock? I figured I might as well do this since it is going to get rebuilt...
Thanks.

#37485 01/13/08 02:00 AM
Contributor
Contributor
Go to page four on this section and there is lots of info on Flathead Modifications, page 1&2. Another good source is George Asche he is a wealth of info also--is number has been mentioned quite often on this site, his number is 814-354-2621. I am doing a 265 and have talked to George about the same thing you are doing.I wanted more snap but not radical. He suggested going 60 over on the bore, 60-70 milling on the head and re-grind on the cam for a 380 lift. More carbs and dual split or headers for the exhaust. I am running three carbs,split exhaust and a T-5 tranny with 3:50 rear. Most of my mods are in but will finish what is left over this winter in time for spring----I can`t wait to see how it does! A good electronic ignition helps too. Don Coatney has done all this stuff to his 251 already and is very pleased with the results. He is on the P15-D24 site quite often along with the Inliners site--good info there also. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out........52er

One should live as if you sold the family parrot to the town gossip....Will Rogers
#37486 01/13/08 02:23 AM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Thanks for the info 52er I will look into this. I actually met Don Coatney here in North Carolina at a meet they had in Concord. Nice and cool guy with lots of information to share. I will talk to him about his and see what I should do. I dont need to go out and radical on this thing, I just thought that I might as well have the machinest do whatever he can to get more performance out of it while he is working on it.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 45 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available