Rate Thread
#37754 02/15/04 11:36 AM
C
Cosmo Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
My last major project was 'encouraging out' the old king pins. Someone here or elsewhere suggested using the weight of the vehicle and a generous soaking w/ PB Blaster to achieve success. In my case it worked like a charm.
The truck is lifted and properly supported while you remove the backing plate and coat-hanger it off to the side. I then created a stable vertical support for my brass drift by drilling a common hole into a stack of 10"X10", 2X12 board scraps then securing the stack together with 3 " wood screws. This created a stable vertical support for my 6" brass drift. Upon removal of the king pin end caps I then lowered the king pin onto my home-made brass drift assembly. \:D
The goal is just to get the stubborn king pin started so only 1-2" of drop is allowed before 2 jack stands await the front I beam for safety. I would come around and give a dozen good blows to the outside of the vertical king pin assembly with a five lb. sledge and a squirt of PB then go back to listening to Public Broadcasting Saturday AM and then come back after another half hour or so. Once I noticed a 1-2 mm drop all thoughts of jerking the whole axle and taking it someplace to have the K-pin pressed out melted away.
As with most things in life and with our old trucks, good patience is rewarded in the end with success. Let's hear your latest truck project, large or small...regards, Cosmo.

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Cosmo I am still bangin' away on my 54 telephone truck.

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Cosmo, I am restoring a 54 GMC 1/2 ton pickup, whch I bought 1-1/2 years ago. I am in the process of rebuilding/restoring: Front end, brakes, wiring, interior, and engine. When I started out I was just going to freshen up the engine bay with new paint and gaskets and before I new it I had the whole front clip off and the interior gutted. I am now even thinking of removing the cab to paint the frame. I hope to be driving this truck this summer????

Here are some pictures of my project:
http://community.webshots.com/user/cujo7240

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
I'm still building the engine and converting the front to disc on my '69. Then it's on to rebuilding that '72 12 bolt 5 lug for out back. I hope to be driveway mobile under it's own power this summer.

Tom

Building a '69 C10 short stepside mild custom.
C
Cosmo Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
MT, need pictures, not many of has seen or remember an old working telephone truck! My fondest memories are of the old Divco bodied milk trucks in the 50's, do you know who made the engine for that truck?

Cujo, nice job, great pictures, might as well do the frame off, you've done nearly everything else!I really like the 'Chevy Orange' for your 261 block, hey it's your truck, besides it goes good with your truck color.

Basket, what's the width (outer flange to outer) on that '72 rear? What's the rear end ratio? What tranny you thinking of using?

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Cujo, I Think your hood side GMC emblems are from a '55-'59. They are not the right style for a '54. I have a '54 and a '55 1st series and they are both the older style. Joe

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Joe Dial, "I Think your hood side GMC emblems are from a '55-'59."
I was wondering if any one would notice those side emblems. Those were on the truck when I bought it from the PO. I have the right ones, but I want to get them rechromed before I install them.

M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cosmo:
[QB] MT, need pictures, not many of has seen or remember an old working telephone truck.
http://community.webshots.com/s/image9/6/0/14/118660014rHsArp_ph.jpg

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
my last major project was putting an in dash cd player in my '65... whew! That took some doing... but it works now... and for the record, the dash was already hacked where an 8 track had been badly installed... so I just had to make it a little bigger.

It works now and I can listen to my tunes instead of the crud on da radio. \:\)

-W

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
working on making my '68 C20 driveable at the moment. body work now (bed, door, fender) and then on to customizing the internals...like a 2x1 carb set-up. o yea, and interior. i'll get there evntually..lol

SamWise

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
working on making my '68 C20 driveable at the moment. body work now (bed, door, fender) and then on to customizing the internals...like a 2x1 carb set-up. o yea, and interior. i'll get there evntually..lol

SamWise

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I'm still waiting to get my oil leak taken care of on my '68 C-10. It's gonna be a PITA. Then I can tune my 4 barrel, and drop in my HEi and MSD setup. After that, I'll see about getting a rebuild kit for my T-5 tranny, and swapping that in. My '66 C-10 is in pieces back home, and will be for a while. John

'68 C-10 - 250 with Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, Offy intake, Hedman headers and true duals, HEI, MSD 6A box, relocated gas tank
Soon to have: T-5 tranny
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
I have to redo all the under hood wiring, replace the carb, vacum booster, repaint hood and grow new skin on my hand. Had major fire trying to start truck for first time. Cheap advice, dont use a gas can as a carb primer, leave the air filter on, and for gods sake make sure the dang fire exstinguisher is charged. Were is my sign?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lately , all I did was start it for A bit so I could move it 15 feet & mow there . No fun $$ for awhile .

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I'm working on my '54 GMC. I have the frame blasted and painted and am starting back up with it. I have a rebuilt 248, a Buffalo adapter, a TH2000-4R tranny and a '55 first rearend with a '59 third member. I have a 6-lug power disc brake set-up for the front. I have new king pins and spring shackles and my springs have been re-sprung. What I need now is a crew to put it back together.

Charlie Hardin
II #5039

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available