Rob English
II Member #2141

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK kinda quiet in this forum...anybody remember the IMSA Gremlins and Pacers that ran with Levi's sponsorship? Late '70s I think...they used some very special inline six-cyl engines that made LOTS of power and
had the tech inspectors scratching their heads. Seems they were using special heads and intakes developed by the Mexican VAM rally teams. A brief but impressive moment of glory in domestic inline racing....

G
Contributor
Contributor
G
The Gremlin bodies were a very popular choice for the eastern-style circle-track modifieds in the 70s and 80s. However, I don't know if anyone used the inline engine for power.

------------------

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
In 1964 1/2 AMC introduced the 232, Which was a totaly modern inline, Seven main bearings, Ohv, Not like the old Rambler engine, which had five(!) mains, and was orriginally a flathead, Now the 232 spawned the 199 the Venerable 258 and the Jeep 4.0 (Check one out, the block is all but the same on the outside, guess why, AMC made the Castings), How many other Inlines can trace thier Lineage Back almost forty Years, I bet the New Chevy 4.2 cant, Ive seen the thing, and its cool I'll be the first to admit that but it has little in common with the Good ol 250.
The 4.0 is suprisingly compatible with the other 232 based Am inlines, You can put a 4.2 crank and rods into a 4.0 and presto get a 276 ci 4.5 Liter.
I would love to have one of the Jeep racing 293 inlines in my Eagle Or my Concord for that matter. That might give the 5.0 mustangs a bit of a suprise.

Trust me man, Its NOT a V6.
Contributor
Contributor
If I was looking to replace the 232 in my '65 AMC with a newer six..what would be a good setup (engine/tranny)?

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available