Rate Thread
#38869 12/10/03 11:47 PM
S
sixpak Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I finally joined but, just thought MAYBE I could try to spark a little interest or activity. I have a 280 ci AMC in a sand drag jeep.

Have you been beaten by an inline, Lately?
S
sixpak Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
The motor has a 4.0 standard head [93 yr] and uses a 1972 258 crank and a late model 4.0 block bored to 3.905, just .030 over. I use a 904 trans with an 8" Coan converter.
Twisted, thanks for the welcome and I'll see what I can dig up for photos. I have some but do not represent the latest updates.

J
Newcomer
Newcomer
J
I would like to talk to you! I have a Javelin with a 232 - soon to be upgraded to a 258. Have lots of questions concerning head, cam, carb, etc. Please respond.Thanks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any of you AMC racers had any cam failures? Why?
A local circle track racer has built a couple of 232's for customers and suffered cam problems. He is a pro engine builder but these were his first AMC motors. Anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong? He has eliminated everything on Crane's "List of frequent failure" list.

S
sixpak Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Jack, I did get to speak with this guy. We decided to take out some spring pressure and replace the cam bolt to the factory spring loaded type. The timing chain did come in contact with the timing chain cover in the short time itwas running.

G
Newcomer
Newcomer
G
I've been drag racing with a 69 Javelin powered by a 258 for 20 years now.

Best times to date are 13.9's at about 97 mph, all on a pretty low buck combo with full exhaust and 3.55 gears.

Currently I'm converting to fuel injection and moving the drivetrain into a Gremlin. My goal is to run high 12's in street trim, although I'll be adding a little spray to make sure it happens.

Chris in KC

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
What combo? Wish I could do that. Actually, I now have an 81 Spirit that was going to get a 401, but I think instead a hot 258 would be neat. I have an AMC 20 awapped in with 3.54 gears, and a 727 trans. What would anyone recommendd for a cam? I think I found an Offy intake, I have a 600 Holley, ane will Jeep headers work or does someone make a set for the cars? Sure it won't be fast, but it'll be unique and fun, and a lethal bracket car ;\) ...

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available