Rate Thread
#38905 08/07/04 09:24 AM
X
Xerxes Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
X
I'm considering a 4.0 liter Jeep engine for my project and am interested to know what about transmissions for this engine..I would prefer a five speed such as the T-5. this will be a two wheel drive application. Street use. I assume that the entire installation will reguire fabrication of mounts etc, so that is not really an issue. Mostly wanting to know what will be closest to a "bolt up" of the trans and engine.
Paul

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Depending upon what you choose to do and what chassis you're putting the gearbox in, there are are several trannies you can use.

Ford pattern Borg-Warner T-5. This info comes from an AMC page:

"T-5 from a Mustang will fit any AMC engine if you get the bellhousing from SR-4 ('76-'81), T-4 ('82-'88) or T-5 ('83-'88), and the throw out arm and bearing, from the same bell. Also the front bearing retainer is needed, if you don't want to modify the Mustang part. Right clutch disc with the correct # of splines that also fits the pressure plate you're using, and the pilot bearing is also needed."

Jeep Wranger\Dodge Dakota 2WD AX15 5-speed. Out of the Jeep, get the version used behind the 4.0. Out of the Dakota, get the one from the 3.9L V6 (However, you'll still need the Jeep 4.0 bellhousing).

If using the Jeep AX15 4.0L bellhousing, you can also use:

88-92 R154 5-speed out of the Toyota Supra Turbo (Very tough and good gear ratio's)

03 and up GM Colorado\Canyon pickup 2WD MA5 5-speeds.

Greg

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Early 4.0L Jeeps used a Peugeot BA/10 five speed. It's okay for sporting around town, but won't take the abuse of 4 wheeling or heavy towing. I wouldn't tow much of anything with it!

At least the 79-83 AMC/Jeep six bell housing was drilled for all transmissions mentioned in the previous post and three speeds. Easy to tell once the trans is removed -- there will be 3-4 extra bolt holes. Not all years have all holes tapped, but that's easy to fix. So you can use a three speed manual bell. I don't know if 76-78 bells havethe extra bolt holes, or if there is enough "meat" to drill the housing.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars Magazine
for AMC/Rambler owners
http://www.amc-mag.com

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users