Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hi there everyone!

I have som questions about such a conversion.
1:As far as I understand the 258 crank drops right in the 4.0 block Y/N?

2:If You use stock pistons with the 258 crank and rods,what comp-ratio do You get? Would like around 10-11 c/r,we do have 98 oct. gasoline here

3:What trans to use with this combo,does the 904 fit to the block?

4:Can I use my Crane-camshaft from the 258 in the 4.0 ??

5: I guess that my hedders won't fit the 4.0 head and that the same goes for the Offenhauser-intake I currently uses Y/N???

I do have more questions about this subjet so those who knows anything about this,feel free to help me out here,there are not so many that done this to an AMC-engine in Sweden,probably none to be exact...

Since I live in Sweden and parts are expensive to buy here I would like to get it right the first time instead of using the good old trial/error-way of finding out this stuff.

Zorry if the zpelling iz a little off zome time,but I try to get it right.

The engine will go in to this: Straight-6 Roadster The page is in Swedish,but You all know what they say:A picture says more than a thousand words...

Thanx : Speed-Swede

Str8-6 Hell Yeah
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
hi, speed-swede

greetings from pennsylvania, usa

sorry that i can't help you with your swapping engine parts, but i had an amc gremlin years ago, with a 258, that surprised a lot of guys who had ford and chevy sixes. my engine had a single four-barrell holley, dual headers, pocket porting with next size larger swirl-polished stainless valves. the compression was stock but it ran great on regular gas.

it looks like you're going way beyond my modest modifications and with your light body it should be a fast machine! hope you post the results of your work and some photos.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Speed-Swede,
Here is a site with a lot of good info on Jeep stroker engines.
http://bc4x4.com/tech/bryce/stroker/assembly.cfm
Gordy

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
 Quote:
Originally posted by Speed-Swede:
Hi there everyone!

I have som questions about such a conversion.
1:As far as I understand the 258 crank drops right in the 4.0 block Y/N?
YES

2:If You use stock pistons with the 258 crank and rods,what comp-ratio do You get? Would like around 10-11 c/r,we do have 98 oct. gasoline here
Approx 9.7--every .010 milled off is approx .2 in compression gained

3:What trans to use with this combo,does the 904 fit to the block?
Yes, 904 fits. No difference in bolt patterns

4:Can I use my Crane-camshaft from the 258 in the 4.0 ??
YES, just be sure to check for proper lifter pre load. Pushrod length may need to be adjusted.

5: I guess that my hedders won't fit the 4.0 head and that the same goes for the Offenhauser-intake I currently uses Y/N???
Headers will not fit. I HAVE heard of people adapting the headers to work. Depends on you skills. Cylinders 3 & 4 are the concern. Check all for port alignment. Intake could be made to work. Alignment dowels holes will have to be moved on the intake to make proper port alignment.

I do have more questions about this subjet so those who knows anything about this,feel free to help me out here,there are not so many that done this to an AMC-engine in Sweden,probably none to be exact...
I'll help in any way I can. Got your comp ratios from this site http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/ Easier to get the general specs here. Dino has done a great job of documentation.

Since I live in Sweden and parts are expensive to buy here I would like to get it right the first time instead of using the good old trial/error-way of finding out this stuff.

Zorry if the zpelling iz a little off zome time,but I try to get it right.
Mine is not that much better!

The engine will go in to this: Straight-6 Roadster The page is in Swedish,but You all know what they say:A picture says more than a thousand words...
Here is mine.

Thanx : Speed-Swede

Have you been beaten by an inline, Lately?
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Thank You all!

It's nice to get some info from guys who know more then the usual engine-builders on this side of the big pond,there are not so many that cares about inlines here in Sweden,but I do,and I think that I will show those who is not a beliver of inline-6 engines a little lesson (or two???)

I do have a pretty good combo as is but why not get some more power if it's possible,it can never be wrong with more oomph in a car...

The specs of my engine for the moment is as follows: Stock bore 258 ported head with sligthly cut V8-valves (2.0" in-1.57" ex)Crane hyd. camshaft 216/228 deg.@ 0.50 lift in .484 out.512 lobe sep. 112 deg, C/R is 10.5 it has a Offenhauser Dual-Port intake a 600 Holley (vac) and hedders built by a friend who knows what he is doing,the difference in lenght of the primary-tubes is far better then on the Hooker's that are availble here in Sweden.

This combination will (according to my PC Dyno-program)produce 283 hp @5500 rpm and 296 lbs of torque @4000,(accurate?? No idea but thats what it says)and yes it probably will be a almost fast enough car but it wouldn't hurt if it was a little bit faster...You all know how it is don't You? But if it's not as fast as I want it to be I can allways go to plan B :an old but fully functioning Marvin Miller NOS-system thats nesting on a shelf somewhere,that will give me 75-100 hp more to play with.

And if that don't give me enough ooomph I always have a plan C... A small cabin-supercharger out of an old type of a Swedish figther-plane that is taking up space on the same shelf as the nos-system.

But still : It can never be wrong with some more cu-in and if it against all odds should be wrong it's still OK as long as it don't causes any pain...

Time to go to bed,it's 4 in the Sunday-morning here now when I write this (we are aprox. 6-9 hours before You here in Sweden)

All the best to You all,and may the old gods be good to You and Your loved ones: Speed-Swede

Str8-6 Hell Yeah
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
HEy !

go to:

www.yahoogroups.com and Join:

Strokers

we stuff 258 cranks into 4.0 blocks - 4.5 - or - 4.7 etc.

almost have Roller Camshafts / Roller Lifters for the 4.0 ready..........

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
what is the rod ratio with these crank swaps?

We're both great!

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available