Rate Thread
#41318 05/09/08 05:29 PM
B
Biff Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I heard a rumor that some of the later chevy 6s (after 79) had progressive 2bbls as stock equipment.
Anyone know if this is true?
If so, what brand and in which vehicles?
Or any other american vehicles, any engine, that might have had them?

Thanks in advance,
Biff

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
The two barrel on the integrated head is a progressive, it's a Rochester Quadrajet 2.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Larry, how well do those work? Do the Q-jet (4V) tuning parts fit?

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
B
Biff Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks Larry,
That's what I was hoping to hear. The 79 250 that was given to me is in Fairbanks, 300 miles away, so I couldn't check it to find out.
Nexxussian stole my follow up question, but as I'm typing this I noticed that he is from Anchorage, so I'll let it go. I'm from Wasilla.
After talking to a few people and reading a lot of threads, I have decided to go with a non-integrated head off a 73 250, but was still thinking of using the 2bbl off the 79, if it's a decent option. The holly-webber isn't very expensive though.
Could anyone give me a comparison/reccomendation between the two?

Biff

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
First I got the name of the carb wrong it's Varajet 2SE. I'd seen them in wrecking yards, which prompted my reply. In HP books Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe, he mentions them briefly in his history section. The 2SE replaced Monojet in 1979 on the 2.5 four and 2.8 V6. It has a 35mm primary and a 46mm secondary. Early models didn't have any electronic controls, later ones do.

Biff, compare the price of rebuild kits for the Holley/Weber and the Varajet. I know the H/W kit is about $50. You will have problems finding and adapter to fit the Varajet. The bolt pattern does not match any other 2bbl that I know of. I have the thermo spacer from a Varajet and looked at modifying a stock intake to fit, it would be real tight fit.

Nexxussian, from what I can see of the diagram in Roes' book the Quadrajet parts won't interchange.

I've read that a single H/W is too small for the 292 and you are either on or off the throttle. I've found Varajets in the wrecking yards on 292s so they should work.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
My cousin used to have an '82 van with a 250, integrated head and used the above mentioned carb. It also had dual outlets for the exhaust.

I.I. #3174

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available