Rate Thread
#41417 05/15/08 01:12 AM
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Hi

I am in need of some help. Working on my 53 chevy wagon I have come across a problem. While taking my front suspension apart I found that the cross member that holds the a arms on the drivers side is damaged. When I went to take the upper inner pin out I found that the threaded hole that holds the pin has gone from round to more of an egg shape. The two questions I have are 1) does anyone know if a 52 pontiac front suspension is the same as a 53 chevy? I found one at a bone yard. I know the best way to know is to look a it directly. The problem is it is way on the otherside of town, I will have to take time off work and that is hard with my job, at least if someone knows it will work it will be easier to go and check. 2) Does anyone know of one laying around that is in the Albuquerque area? so many guys sub frame or use the mustang suspension that there has to be some out there. I am thankful for any and all help. I want to be driving my wagon this summer I will feel much better if the front suspension is nice and tight. the only other way I can think of is to have it welded and try and cut threads that will work with new pin.

Thanks Steve
AKA 53chevywagon

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
My Hollander says the A-arms and uprights are different between the two, so I doubt the rest would interchange either.

Try putting an add on http://www.craigslist.org

I.I. #3174
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Gearhead

Thanks for the information, i guess if I don't get any other leads I will go look at it. At this point I will go with the logic if the A arms and uprights don't fit the rest probably won't fit. I put an add on Craigslist last night, I know someone out there has to have one with as many people that sub frame and use the mustang/pinto set up. I really appriciate the help.

Thanks Steve

M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
You might also check around the local rod shops and post a note on any bulletin boards in parts houses.

On the craigslist posting. Make sure you put it in tha auto parts section because a lot of guys don't check the wanted section.
As you don't need the drums or backing plates I would think you should be able to find the cross member pretty reasonable.

1948 Chev pickup.
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Thanks for the help,

I had two replys from the craigs list one wanted more then I wanted to pay, but was pretty clean the second took 40.00 for the whole front suspension drum to drum along with a master cylinder which is rebuildable. Needless to say I went with the complete set up. I already have it torn apart and mostly cleaned.

Thanks again Steve

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Good Job. When you get done with that could you rebuild mine?
I cant pay you but will give words of encouragement.

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available