Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
beltfed Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I want to add Corvette power steering to my '72 250 c.i. street rod. Have all the setup including the p/s brackets. My problem is I've also got an a/c compression on a home made bracket mounted over the distributer. Can any tell me the year and model of Chevys that came with both air conditioning and power steering? The belt setup with only two pulley groves has me confused. Thanks in advance.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
The first image is from a Chilton and references the PS only, so it does not show the alt belt. This set-up has no AC and uses only one groove on the water pump pulley.

In this image you can see that the Alt has its own belt, but also carries the PS belt. The AC crank pulley is separate and bolts to the hub of the harmonic balancer.

The PS bracket and I think the 2-groove water and AC crank pulleys are from a car 250 with AC. The PS bracket had to be modified to fit the 292. The AC bracket(s) were big, ugly, heavy, didn't fit the Sanden or the 292, so I made my own.

Last edited by RichardJ; 06/08/08 04:43 PM.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
B
beltfed Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
RichardJ, Thanks for your post. I've thought about adding another pulley like some Chevy motor can do with "stackable" pulleys. My motor has not had the crank drilled and tapped like the one shown. I will do this next winter when I pull the motor for the front end install. The A/C compressor mount will need to be modified to move the compressor foward but I was thinking about "re-inventing" the mount anyway due to #1 plug being a bear to get to. Maybe polished stainless also? Again, thanks.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Stacking the pulleys does not rely on a crank bolt. Extra pulleys bolt directly to the Balancer hub, just like a V8. The crank bolt is just extra insurance for holding the hub on tight. The hub should have three threaded holes. You can see two of them in my photo. Are you absolutely sure your '72 crank isn't already drilled and threaded.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
B
beltfed Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Pulled the engine two years ago for a total rebuild so I'm sure it is not tapped. I'm aware of the three hub bolts. The main reason I didn't decide to do the extra pulley in the first place was fear that without the crank bolt the extra pulley and the extra torque might work the balancer off the tapered shaft. BTW, where do you find an extra pulley? The extras I got laying around the shop are for a V8 and the holes don't line up. Thanks

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available