Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#42767 08/02/08 02:29 AM
1lowlyf Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
anyone know of a 1 piece chevy driveshaft that is at least 53".I have a 10 bolt rear end out of a 68 camaro and a 250 6 cyl with a turbo 350 out of the 68 camaro as well.going to put it all into a 54 bel air.need to buy a driveshaft and have it shortened.any help would be appreciated.
Ty

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Have you checked with the driveshaft place to see if they have any listings of lengths, etc...?

I.I. #3174
1lowlyf Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
hey gearhead thanks for the reply>Is that a website or link having trouble locating.
thanks 1lowlyf

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
The "driveshaft place" would be whoever it is you were planning on taking it in to have it shortened up.

I didn't find any length charts when I searched online.

I called my local driveshaft place, and they have no chart either.

It would seem to me that if you called a salvage yard that has Hollander online, it may show the different lengths they used. Obviously, if you need one longer than a '68 Camaro, I would start by looking at cars with similar components, but with a longer wheelbase, like an Impala or Caprice???

I.I. #3174
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
When I needed a driveshaft made up for my 1940 Chevy, I went to a "reliable" drivesahft shop and asked if they make custom length driveshafts. They said yes and all they need to know was what type of input shaft that you were using on the tranny (32, 28 spline), what type of rear end you were using and the exact length from the tailshaft to the rear diff.
They came up with the proper shaft dimension, balancing and welded the appropriate tail shaft and end shaft U joint assembly.
Most shops do this routinely and only need a few dimensions. The key is go to a Hotrod shop that does this type of thing all the time. Experiance works!

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
1lowlyf Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the replys.I think I would be money ahead to just have one made.thanks again

Contributor
Contributor
The best way to get it right the first time is to assemble everything and than take a measurement from the rear of the tranny where the yoke goes in to the the nut that holds the axle u-joint on. A good drive shaft shop knows just how much to subtract to build the exact length drive shaft.
Joe

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Look in the yellow pages for Machine Shops. Not all of the do driveshafts but some do. Yes take your measurements but IF YOU CAN take the vehicle to the shop on a trailer or wrecker and leave it there.
I was a ship mechanic in the Navy and it was easier if the machinists came down and took the measurements for us. They can read the rulers more accurate.
The trick is not just getting the correct length on a driveshaft but making sure it is TRUE as opposed to a crooked pool stick.

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
Having it made by a custom drive shaft company is the only way to fly...Even a small town like Santa Rosa, CA had a specility shop that does drive shafts. Done once and done right!

A day without wine is like a day without sunshine.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available