Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43882 09/26/08 11:07 PM
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
I'm trying to get the wifes 62 up and going but the 230 is giving me some issues. H have installed a Offy intake Holley 390, HEI, stove bolt header and 2.25" exhaust with 18" glass packs. First it stumbles going off idle (I do not have any intake heat set up right now) I have moved the timing around, finally setting with a vacuum gage (along with the car it settled in a 20")this has helped but I get some horrible back firing out the exhaust (during acceleration and sustained RPM), if I hold the choke 1/2 closed it get quite a but better but not perfect. I have adjusted the valves, that help quite abut too. Everything I have done has helped but I'm lost now. The firing order is correct 153624.
Thanks
Jon

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Have you used a Timing Light? Also what about Vacuum Advance?

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.
pinebluffdude #43885 09/27/08 12:24 AM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Sounds like it is too lean if it helps when you close the choke 1/2 way.
Maybe a vacuum leak,,, or does it idle good?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
pinebluffdude #43887 09/27/08 12:31 AM
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
In my humble opinion (and it's exactly that, just an opinion), it sounds like your 230 is running lean. Holley accelerator pumps are notorious for being sensitive to backfires, and it may be that your accelerator pump needs to be replaced. Check to see if you're getting a good shot of gas when you open the throttle. If that's ok, then you might need slightly larger main jets in the carb. You might want to check your fuel pump for output too. If the fuel pump diaphragm is cracked or torn, you'll only be getting a dribble of gas up to the carb. Put a fuel pressure gauge in the fuel line between the pump and carb; you should be getting 5-7 psi of fuel pressure with the engine running. If it's lower than that, you have a fuel pump problem. Could also be a clogged fuel line or fuel filter. Whatever is happening, it sounds like your engine is starved for fuel.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
#43888 09/27/08 01:07 AM
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
I'm getting a great shot of fuel, and it seems to want to spit black smoke plugs are black, I know they need to be replaced, I'm thinking on jumping up to 28 squiters, I have 25 in there now. I'll try and get some video of the car in the morning. I have sprayed cab cleaner around all places where a vacuum leak could be, and there was none. When I unplugged the PCV vale the rpm increased, with the resulting "vacuum" leak now that sounds like it was running rich, I'm guessing that it is in the accelerator pump/squiters/ pump cam area, would going to a 50 CC pump help????

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
If you have gas fouled plugs, first thing you need to do is clean them or better yet get a new set.

Don't think you need a big 50 CC pump.

You could also be too rich if you are back firing out of the exhaust.
Really need to get rid of those plugs because once you gas foul them they do not come back to working good just by running the engine.
Idle is good ,,,but smells rich?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Thinking back This did not happen before I had to adjust the float, I'll try that this morning, re clean the plugs and try it again. It has kinda a miss like I have two plug wire cross but I have double checked everything many time and they are correct. I think it could be old gas too, it prolly a ear old or so I'll add five gallons of new gas and some treatment and see what happens I'm left scratching my head on this one.

S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Found the float to be to low,I pulled the sight plug and it was dry, I'm heading out to piss the neighbors off, I mean tune the car some more.

M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
If you are getting a great shot of fuel though the accelerator pump nozzles the accelerator pump the accelerator pump is ok.
On Holleys it is the power valve that blows out when the engine backfires and this usually causes a rich condition.

1948 Chev pickup.
Mr48chev #43898 09/27/08 03:21 PM
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
OK here is the crappy video it seem to be only coming from the back three cylinders (headers and duel exhaust help to narrow it down) I'm hoping it is not something like a burnt vale.

S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
OK I went back out after lunch, cleaned the plugs tightened all intake exhaust, and carb bolts and runs much better, my neighbor and I were talking (after I shut the car off) and found fuel spilling out the secondaries into the intake, pulled the sight plug fuel spilled out so after the engine cool I'll adjust the secondaries float and hopefully we will be in business!

S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
I adjusted the secondaries float and I think that has fixed it. It is still not perfect but it is lots better I just need the time to fine tune it and we'll be ok, it was lots of little things everything has helped and the secondaries float finished fixing it. Thanks for the help. This thing has some top end once those secondaries kick in I'm very pleased with the power level of this engine.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available