Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46949 01/17/09 04:26 PM
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
just a shout out to see what you guy's are working on for driving this 2009.

i'll start, it's been cold (real cold) here. so last weekend i took a junk 292 head and cut it up into very viewable pieces. now i can see about how much more i can open up my intake ports that join the intake flange. atleast 3/16 of an inch on the sides and top can be removed safely. i'll get started on mine in a few weeks. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I just picked up the turbo setup from Greybeard, and im planning on building up a 292 to put it on. Im shooting for around 4-500ft lbs of torque. I picked up Leos book, but am still unsure of how much I need to do to get to that number.

This is all going in a '54 chevy car.

1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
that's good stuff, keep us posted on your project. be sure to ask questions. tom

Inliner Member 1716

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Sounds neat.

Pop's Bonneville Berkeley should arrive here on the barge in about a fortnight. It's the only gas burning inline I expect I'll be fortunate enough to work on in the forseeable future.

I still want to get to that 228, but it keeps getting trumped by these 'priority' things, darn it.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I'm still trying to finish the mechanicals on my 56 so that I can hopefully drive it this summer. Then a bit of wiring so I can drive it and work the bugs out before the interior.

Tom
I.I. #1475
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I am seriously working on getting my 261" in my '48 fleetline . It has been 2 yrs. since the 216" broke the crank and the blonde boss says if shes going anywhere peacefully it will be in it. I' have got all the brackets and an under dash evaporater. Hope to gather condenser and dryer so I can add air before summer is over. Then I'll have one happy BLONDE BOSS. 261"s painted and I have a new old stock set of FENTON headers with heat riser, have rounded some of the edges in the intake under carb. Am I to long winded? 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I am changing the engine in the little Ford roadster. Pulled the four cyl and five speed out and sold them to a guy for his race car. I will be joining the ranks of Frenchtown Flyer, as I am building a big block ford six with a performance built C-4 behind it. Pulled the rear end and have installed a 10" B.O.P. rear end, it is all done except the emergency brake cables. Engine is on stand, set crank today. Hope to have long block done by Monday. Cut center x menber out and will have to plate it then build a tube cross member to support transmission and keep the frame rigid.Also will have to modify firewall as bellhousing is larger. May replace entire firewall with polished stainless if I don't run out of time. Need to have this project up and running by march. Then going to replace windshield glass and rubber door seals on the bosses 41 plymouth to keep her happy, because everybody knows that if momma ain't happy nobodys happy.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
'63 Nova wagon, rebuilding a 250 with an Offy 4 bbl intake, 500 cfm Edelbrock, a set of Langdons cast headers, Comp Cams 272 camshaft and kit and backing it up with a saginaw 4 speed. This is going to be my swap meet cruiser for the west coast.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Ongoing 4200 turbo build.. every part that didn't come from GM has to be either designed and built or custom ordered. Then I have a severe case of pack rat wiring to clean up under the dash. Also a bunch of items that I've been putting off fixing since the truck got on the road. Like getting the drivers vent window to close.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
X
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
X
I just put the oil pan on for real here a couple days ago, and am getting close to the point I can put the engine and tranny in. Fixed the ignition switch I had difficulties with, and the Ol' lady promises new inner door pannels. As soon as it warms up a bit (-25 here yesterday) I'll try and get the Plymouth body inside and up in the air to be able to put things back into her.....

Faster, faster, faster, till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death........
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Car wise I'll finish up my '46 pickup, build the body for my '30s era champ car and begin restoration of The Last Logghe altered.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
A
Newcomer
Newcomer
A
Rebuilding a turbo 350C to replace the powerglide in my 66 Belair 250. Also am going to install new door panels and take care of a few minor details too. The car was parked for 12 years and after doing poly suspension bushings, big sway bars and disc brakes I got it on the road last fall. Didn't get a chance to drive it more than a few hundred miles though. Oh ... this is my first post too ... but I read lots of stuff here. Guess I'm the quiet guy in the back corner. Thanks guys ... Art.

1966 Chevrolet BelAir
Red w/White Roof
4 Door Sedan
250 cu in
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
art, just admit it, your a lurker. the th350 will really help that 6 get that car going. tom

Inliner Member 1716

X
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
X
Tom, did you go to the meeting last Sunday?

Faster, faster, faster, till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death........
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Lesse here, race car transporter for B Ville, our Anglia, the beater plow truck I've been using for a daily (should get the crank back from the machinist this week), and the race car, when it gets here (mid month Feb ish).

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
36 Pontiac 2 door with a 1966 Pontiac OHC six and 5 speed.Got it running and driveable, but have the head off right now trying to find out why I have noisy lifters.Will be back together in a couple weeks.Then it will be on the road. Joe

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Besides my '48 fleetline I also have a '41 chevy 1/2 ton I've installed a 215" inline and 2 speed auto I got out of a '64 tempest. Installed a nova rear end'
, hanking brake pedal from a '72 nova, removed a couple of leaves from springs, installed '51 backing plates and drums on front and then I stalled. It is in the to do sheet after I get my '48 fleetline on the road again. The pick up is slated to be my parts runner and shop truck. How do we get to the point we have more projects left than we do years? 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm still putting the Megasquirt together for the 292 and building a chicken house. If you count the gate as a door it's s chicken sedan! Pix

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
A '64 Nova Wagon with a 194 in it.
Engine: Screw in rocker studs, Erson RV cam (256 duration/.480" lift), Erson valve springs, Isky steel keepers, Clifford intake, Holley 350 cfm 2-bbl (to be replaced with a Holley 390 cfm 4-bbl), Crower SS roller rockers (1.75 ratio), Crower camsaver lifters, HD oil pump, Clifford long tube headers (to be coated with Jet-Hot Sterling Silver coating), electric fuel pump, Mercruiser aluminum valve cover, and a stock dizzy with a Pertronix conversion kit.
Trans: Saginaw 4-speed with a Hurst shifter
Chassis: CPP mini subframe kit, disc brakes, rack & pinion steering, mulit-leaf rear springs, HD front springs, SS gas tank, roll bar, Camaro Z-28 15" alloy wheels, tires TBD, Addco anti-sway bars front and rear, 3.36:1 10-bolt rear end with Posi unit.
Interior: pretty much needs everything.

Not all of this is going to be done right away, but I'm aiming for this spring to have it running. By then the subframe kit should be installed, headers coated, and the hopped up engine ready to install (there's a stock engine in it now). I also already have the 4-speed and driveshaft the right length to go with the trans, the Camaro wheels, electric fuel pump and a few other goodies. Stay tuned.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
Al Offline
Contributor
Contributor
'52 Chev Belair,250, T-5,Edelbrock 500cfm, S-10 clip. Car has been up and running for 2 years, but this winter I have added a hitch, wiring and air shocks to pull a 19' trailer. Need to add a proportioning valve as the rear brakes will lock up on hard braking. The interior is done except for the headliner and front kick panels. Will be doing these in the next couple of weeks.
It's nice to see so many projects on the go. It's inspiring.
Al

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
72 toyota land cruiser, 292, with 40,over LPG pistons,deck the block maybe 30.000, cam ?, Balanced, holley 460 cfm truck avenger carb, Offy intake, bigger valves in head, HEI, stovebolt header, engine will be dual fuel gas or propane.

HalfWacked Toyota Land Cruiser, Dual Fuel, Could have put a V/8 in it, But Stayed STRAIGHT
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
I'm putting a new chassis under my '37 Chev. It should keep me busy until late spring. I plan on pulling the engine out of the Corvair after that. It's been pressurizing the cooling system with exhaust gas. A complete overhaul might mean a couple turbo will get purchased.
The Elco still leaks oil but I've put that off for a while

'37 Master Deluxe 2dr sedan
'66 Elcamino, 250, 3sp OD
http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/
Contributor
Contributor
I am currently building a '41 Special Deluxe Coupe. The car has less than 90,000 original miles. It will be powered by a '56 261 .040 with Offy 3x1 intake running Rochester Model B's. It will also have chrome Fenton's, a hybrid T-5 and a Monte Carlo rearend. I have the Offy valve cover and recently bought an Offy sidecover from Tom Langdon.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
In the early '60s I took a 261 with Vett manifolds out of a '41 coupe a friend had wrecked. I put it in my '40 pickup. '41s are my favorite!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
It's been a while since I've wandered on over, but...

1967 Chevy II 2-door post. Working on replacing the floors and trunk pan...fixing the rust and such.

Also have a 250 stripped on the stand, getting ready for .030 over bore, some head work, a bigger cam, Offennhauser 3x1 with Rochester Monojets, headers..

Plans also include a 3 speed conversion to the floor if the column doesn't perform like I want it to...

Other then that, I hope to have it almost ready for summer, so I can slap a cost of paint on it, and enjoy the little bugger.

-Sam.

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
With my '28 r/p about done I hope this is the year to get my '38 Stude up and running. The 292 has been fired, the 700R4 is ready as is the 9" rear. I've installed independent front with power r/p, will install power brakes, tilt wheel, power seat, air and stereo. Fortunately I have been collecting parts for some years so all of these items are on hand so the current economics are't slowing me down, just time to work on it. Plans are that this will become my highway car, built for long distance cruising. S

'38 Stude/292
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Been a little while since I first posted on the project that I am working on, so here are the updates. The car is a 1950 Chevy StyleLine Coupe, the original 216 driveline has all ben replaced by a 76 Nova 250 engine, a rebuilt street/strip TH350 with a TCI sizzler converter and a rear out of a 68 Camaro sporting aposi and 3.08 gearing. Mods to the engine: Deck block .010, Isky 262 cam, Minor porting of the head, 1.6 & 1.88 valves, the head has been decked .020 and just needing to CC chambers to see where we are at, trying to get 9.5cr. The intake is from Engine performance and sports 3 rochester 2gc carbs, I will be running a set of Langdons Cast Iron Headers. In the interim of waiting for parts I have been cleaning up the frame and swapped out the front suspension to use a CE Mustang setup and conversion to power front disk brakes. No electrical has been done yet except the old has been totally ripped out, The electrical will happen once the car comes back from the body shop from having all the rust taken care of which is slated to happen here in a couple of weeks. The body shop is a freind and also a member of the local car club, he is usually pretty quick about getting things done and keeps his schedule (something most indpendant body shops aren't noted for). I have also been working a little on my 48 Chevy FleetMaster Coupe in trying to get it ready for my apholsterer buddy who is not noted for keeping schedules, ha ha.. but the price is right.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
My project has some parallels...but I've not yet started. 1937/1938 Pontiac 4dr. "survivor", titled as a 1937 but think it is a 1938 (column shift). Hope to retrofit 1967 ZE Code Pontiac Sprint OHC inline 6, 200 R4 AT transmission. Anxious to get your insights into what seems a comparable transplant. Next task is to see if my engine is a runner. It was supposedly pulled running from a 1967 Firebird 10+ years ago. I have not yet identified a flex plate to couple eng/trans, or engine/trans mounts? Unsure if my combo will require major X-member mods? My car has open double- driveshaft! Any input welcome.

'49 Chev Styleline
'38 Pontiac, SOHC 6 "Sprint"
V
Contributor
Contributor
V
Once the snow melts off my 66 Chevelle I'll go back to work on it. It's a 66 Chevelle 300 4 door with a 230 and 3 speed. First thing I'm planning is an HEI distributor from Tom Langdon. Floor boards will be next along with a Hurst shifter. I have a set of Vipar headers for a full size Chevy and want to see if I can adapt them to my Chevelle. I want to run NHRA stock class drag racing hence my screen name - V Stock!

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
I have been reluctant to post regarding my project, not because the project is without interest, but instead because my wife has lost interest. (It is nominally her truck...) I've nonetheless decided to continue with the project but still face another hurdle; after moving from OK to the DFW area a year ago, all time, energy, and budget has been spent on rebuilding the house; I still have at least another six months of work before having anything resembling a shop area.

The truck cab is a from a 1938 Dodge 2 Ton dump truck which was discovered under a pile of lumber on the side of Pikes Peak. I discarded the original chassis and drive train, and purchased a '82 Chev 1 Ton dually flatbed with a 292 and a 4 speed as a donor. (Yes, it was a forest service truck... How did you know?)

At this point, the cab has been lengthened 21 inches, a new firewall and floor fabricated, and the cab re-mounted on the donor chassis. I've been relucatant to post much regarding the project because for the first half year I'll be doing nothing but rough bodywork, building a substructure to mount the fenders and running boards, adding Bear Claws to the downright scary door locks, and so on before getting to any of the fun stuff. (The original truck had the fenders and running boards mounted directly to the frame, so fatigue cracks are everywhere; I've mounted the body on polyurethane, but the fenders and running boards need to likewise hang from the body or they would just shake apart again.)

Unfortunately, I do need to finalize body mounting and support arrangements before I can officially locate the motor and transmission mounts. (It was either relocate the engine or the front axle... Early cars and trucks put the axle ahead of the engine, not under it.)

Once rough body work is done,I'll get one of the 700R4s rebuilt, and get the truck running. I've already purchased the turbocharger and waste gate, exhaust manifold, megasquirt kit, and so on. Although I have all kinds of thoughts about rebuilding and improving the 292, I probably should get the stock engine running with the new externals first. I had planned to build a port injection set-up, but with the charge hogging problems associated with siamese intakes suggests that I might be better off using throttle body injection. (I've thought about splitting intake, or even re-grinding the cam to make the intake ports the exhausts and vice versa as siamese exhaust ports wouldn't seem to hurt a turbocharger exhaust gas stream.) But, I don't have unlimited money for development.

Because of the externalities, I'm not doing any real work on the project, just doing the dreaming/thinking/planning part. Right now, I've been thinking about the radiator and intercooler. The '38 grill shell is very space limited. Because intercooler cores and radiator cores are both off-the-shelf components and are essentially of the same purpose, you would think that it would be easy to get a radiator and intercooler built into a common frame to make the best use of the available space and to simplify plumbing. From what I've found, though, intercooler fabricators won't think about radiator cores, and radiator fabricators won't think about intercoolers.

I've also given some thought of late to swapping the 350/400 from my beloved '69 3/4 Ton pickup into the '38 and keeping a freshened turbocharged fuel-injected 292 and 700R4 for the daily driver in case the wife does want to sell her '38. Hmmm... More room for the intercooler, and I could justify a really hot rebuild of the 292... Wonder if I could get dropped 3/4 Ton spindles...

Sorry for the long-winded post guys; I'm frustruated by having to use a framing nailer instead of a TIG. I built a 194 years ago with headers, a 4-speed, and a homemade log intake mounting a couple SU carbs; it ran like a bat and was very different, and I've been eager to do another in-line project.

Last edited by DougE; 02/04/09 05:00 PM.
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Try finding an aluminum radiator that is large enough that is cross flow and convert it to down flow (I expect part of your problem is that you need a tall & narrow radiator).

I did that with the one in our Anglia. It's a Howe Dirt track radiator, weld on a new filler neck and a bracket to hook the brace rod to (and fab a lower mount) and Voila, you have a radiator that will cool great and shouldn't break the bank. I chose the Howe (got it from Summit) because it has no epoxy in it and it was cheap (just over $200 back then) I farmed out the welding.

If you try this make sure that whatever angle you are going to install the radiator at that you have the filler neck (if it's not directly on the radiator) feeds at a downhill angle into the upper tank. If you don't it will always have coolant in it (making it dificult to tell if the system is full) and is a pain to fill as you have a built in flow restriction there.

Hope that helps.

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Nexx...

I was griping about the radiator not because I can't find a suitable rad, but because the mind-set of the fabricators seems to be such that no one wants to consider building a rad with an intercooler in the same package. To me, this is such a no-brainer because the parts and techniques are identical except substituting air core for part of the water core, and splitting the tanks. I want to mount one unit with four hose nipples to serve as both the rad and right next to it, in the same mount, the intercooler.

Thanks for your thoughts, nonetheless.

Last edited by DougE; 02/04/09 05:01 PM.
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Ahhh.

So you want them side by side? Or is that one in front of the other?

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Right...

Side by side; intercooler on the left. My aluminum welding skills are marginal to nonexistant, but because both the water and the air cores are available, when the time comes I may attempt to fabricate myself. An all-in-one radiator/intercooler would make a neat package, and would eliminate a bunch of elbows and fittings to put the intercooler in its usual place in front of the rad.

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Good luck.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
Car wise I'll finish up my '46 pickup, build the body for my '30s era champ car and begin restoration of The Last Logghe altered.

Here is what we got accomplished in three shop days on the Logghe car:

new main rails

a new front axle

hung the shocks

a very simple, straight-forward 4-bar suspension - about two inches of total travel

Tomorrow I will machine the Ford-six-to-powerglide block plate and Thursday we will install the dummy engine and finish up a few details before bringing it back home. I am really excited about how the front end turned out - a straight axle look with coil overs similar later Logghe funny car chassis. I look forward to setting this car up with a bullet proof six / 'glide combo and hitting some of the regional nostalgia races. Stop by and chat if you see us at your track.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I've been wanting to build a tube chassis 27T Roadster drag car, inline powered of course. I've finally found a chassis kit, and think this winter would be a good time to start it.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm working on self control! Not doing to well.

That is some nice work. Thanks for showing it.

Contributor
Contributor
I'm putting together a '65 292 on propane with a ravenswood lumped head, remote mount turbo, and 150hp nitrous. Will be running it in a 56 chevy 4dr with a richmond 6spd and 8.8 rear. Shooting for 12.00001 with street manners. Currently waiting on pistons and rods, rebuilding the 6spd in the meantime. Chassis is done, body has "character" but I'm going to leave it like that I think.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Well, how things change over time.

still working on the '67 Chevy II. Just haven;t gotten very far. Due to FedEx losing my monoleafs that I purchased, I decided to bite the bullet and be different, and put in truck trailing arms off a '67 C10. So, still working on that little number.

Also, plans are probably for a 292 to find it's way into the engine bay, with all the normal hop ups, etc. Shooting for a solid street car that'll hold with newer models in stoplight to stoplight style, and find it's way to some 1/8th mile ice drags.

So, that's about it. I'll keep ya posted.

-Sam.

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available