Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47032 01/19/09 05:03 PM
Titen Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I can now set the search range to go back as far as needed, however, if someone queries a topic that goes back many years or has tons of posts the whole BB may lock up until the search is completed. I have noticed some instances where it seemed the board was slow with just a year set. Need opinions if the potential slow BB is worth the information that could be retrieved with this automatic, as opposed to manual, search.

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I do miss the ability to search for really old posts. can we limit this search function option to I.I members only? i figure you will not be able to do this. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Titen Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Nope Tom, it's all or none.

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Hey TIM' has anyone thanked you for the good job your doing? I think its over due but in my opion its GREAT. THANK YOU. 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Great to hear it, I'll go try it while it's still early (so if I temporarily 'lock up' the board it son't inconvenience anybody, I hope).

I know it's a PITA sometimes, but I only have so much success searching through Google "advanced search: 'search site' ".

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Okay, I tried to search for a subject over 1 Yr old and it wouldn't. What do I need to tell it and how, to get it to do that?

Titen Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Erik,

I said I could set it, not that I did. At this time I was just looking for some input. Mainly I want everyone to understand the 'potential' problems so I won't get a ration if things slow down. So far only two of you have addressed my post. By the way, THANKS Darrell.

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
So you did, oops.

How much longer a search time does it have (if you know yet)? Would we be talking about a few extra seconds, or a few minutes?

I likely would be searching for bedrock in the early am (like when I posted earlier). It should inconvenience the least possible ammount of people (if it's acting up as a problem).

I guess play it by ear, I for one would like to have that capability. However if it were a problem for the other forum users (locking the system up as you describe) then it would have to be reset.

That is if I am reading that right, that the system only locks up on the longer searches, and only for the duration of said search. If the searches sometimes go too long is there a way to set a time limit so they 'time out' to prevent locking the board up in some kind of search loop?

As I mentioned I have tried to search via Google's advanced 'site search' and have had very limited success. If that were not the case (as in I was haveing good luck with Google, or another external search engine) I would say the change was unnecesary.

Hope something in that ramble helps.

Titen Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Ok, you got my curiosity up. I set the search feature to 8 years and 600 results. I ran a couple of searches with no adverse effects. We will try this on a temp basis, but if it causes slowdowns, or revives too many old ghosts, I will set it back to 1 year. OK?

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I really like the ability to do searches and go way back. I believe it gives a lot more info on what people have tried and succeeded or tried and failed at.

Its just my 2 cents

Tom
I.I. #1475
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I just spent a couple of hours searching back to '05. It's a LOT better and I am finding some fin posts. Thanks Tim! It is good to have access to these posts again! Tom

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Very nice, and fast too (yes, I knocked on some wood after typing that ).

Thank you.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 180 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available