Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47355 01/27/09 09:52 PM
E
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
My opinion is that I have a bad fuel pump. What do you think?

I noticed that after I had my 2 single barrel rochester carbs overhauled (57 chevy - 235 6 cylinder), the car tends to shut off when I am in 3rd or 2nd gear, approaching a light, and then dropping the car into neutral. Once I coast for a bit in neutral, it will shut down. The only way I can seem to get around this is to downshift and come to a stop in first gear.

I have adjusted the idle speed to spec (500 RPMs). The problem happened before the adjustment and after. So I really do not think it is the carbs.

Let me know what you think please.

Eddie
elane@kpmg.com

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Why did you have them overhauled?

Did you pay someone to do this? take it back...

Does it idle ok?

Does it accelerate ok?

Are they leaking externally?

When at idle and looking inside the carbs (choke open) do you see alot of fuel, or do they look pretty dry?

Have you checked for vac leaks?

Is the vac advance hooked up and working properly?

floats set correctly?

I.I. #3174
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
If you have a vacuum/pressure gauge, hook it up to a "T" fitting and plug it into the fuel line between the fuel pump and carbs. You should be getting about 5 psi of fuel pressure to the carbs with the engine running. If you don't have one of those gauges, you can borrow or rent one from Auto Zone, Checker/Shuck's/Kragen/O'Reilly Auto Parts, or NAPA. There should be at least one of those stores in Maryland near you. If you're getting normal fuel pressure, then the problem is somewhere else, possibly a clogged/dirty fuel filter, kinked fuel line, or one of the problems gearhead suggested. And like gearhead, I'm curious about why you had the carbs overhauled to begin with, and did you do it, or did someone else?

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
#47368 01/28/09 02:29 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
See if you can time it to make it shut off in a place where you can do a little diagnostics, without being on the side of the freeway or something. Check to see if the fuel bowls still have gas in them or are dry, adding a pressure gauge is a good idea too. That could point to a pump issue possibly as you mentioned previously. Also, pinched or kinked fuel line either rubber or steel are also good possiblities to investigate. If all seems good there, it could be ignition related. Possible coil or condenser breaking down(if point type). Does it always seem to happen in the same amount of time once you begin driving....5 min. down the road, or 10 min., or is it random. Also, when it does shut off, how hard is it to restart!

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 186 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available