Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47649 02/06/09 09:34 PM
N
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
N
Wondering what is out there for making a fuel injection setup cheap for a straight six that will be boosted. Don't really understand it all yet, so trying to sort it out.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
the cheapest, would probably be the GM TBI using a Megasquirt system to control it. the fuel pressure would need to be a rising rate to compensate for the boost. that would also allow for spark control. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There is quite a bit of info on this site. I'm working on an injected turbo 292 using Megasquirt now. I'm learning a lot! The initial idea was to assemble a bunch of parts I had into one drivable truckas cheap as possible. I now have all of the MS stuff ( MSII kit, Stim. and GM adapter boards) and an Innovate wide band O2 kit. There are 2 GM ECMs and harnesses, a TBI and a fuel pump. (as well as a complete '89 GMC donor standing by) These are what I accumulated in addition to what I had. That all cost less than $800. I'm still working!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
N
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
N
For the time being I don't have much time to research this site, so sorry to be repetive, but with time constraints i cant search what i use to know! lol. I haven't been on here in awhile...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here are the names of two threads that cover a lot. Other than that it's what tlowe says a GM TBI and Megasquirt. You can start with the NA set up and boost it later.

Bonneville.... TBI conversion - installation demo
Help needed to change 4 piles into 1

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Another question along these lines...

I'm considering using a GM TBI throttle body in my turbo 292 build; from what I read in another thread, the fuel pressure regulator is integral to the GM TBI. Because the rising-rate regulator will be needed with the turbo, does one:

a) Replace the original reg with a rising rate internal regulator?

b) Remove the original reg, block off the return passages, and install an external fuel pressure regulator?

c) Leave the internal regulator in place, and install the rising-rate reg in the return line?

Any other issues with using the GM TBI under boost?

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
 Originally Posted By: DougE
Another question along these lines...

I'm considering using a GM TBI throttle body in my turbo 292 build; from what I read in another thread, the fuel pressure regulator is integral to the GM TBI. Because the rising-rate regulator will be needed with the turbo, does one:

a) Replace the original reg with a rising rate internal regulator?

b) Remove the original reg, block off the return passages, and install an external fuel pressure regulator?

c) Leave the internal regulator in place, and install the rising-rate reg in the return line?

Any other issues with using the GM TBI under boost?

Doug

I think with careful study you might be able to modify the stock regulator to add a boost reference port. It will require some new parts designed to replace the stock spring retainer. Recommend you take the TBI apart and look where the fuel flows. Eliminating the stock reg. is most likely as much work as getting it to work with boost.

The stock fuel pressure is about 12 psi.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 316 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available