Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48048 02/21/09 11:51 PM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I origionally bought a Eaton M90 blower off of Ebay for my Dodge Dart Swinger planning on putting it on a slant 6.....but the car needs way to much work for now......So I am buying my 1981 Cutlass back, and my uncle is giving me 250 chevy. I don't know much about the engine except it has good compression, doesn't burn oil, has a new distributor and internals in the dizzy, new carb, and has a manual trans flywheel on it. My plans are to make an aluminum intake and bolt the super up to it and then mate a 4 brl carb to the blower. My questions start with this

1) What should I do to the engine to make it stand up to 10psi of boost?

2) should I lump port it?

3) What size of carb?

4) are there cams for this specific application? or is there one that will work that is readily available?

5) should I plane the head at all to boost compression?

6) and what are you gernal suggestions as I am the young guy, new on the block, and eager to learn from the people that are wiser than me,

Found this camshaft

http://schneidercams.com/295HchevyI6hydraulic.aspx

I appreciate your replies and feed back

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
What year engine is the 250?
 Originally Posted By: Super250

1) What should I do to the engine to make it stand up to 10psi of boost?
Forged pistons
2) should I lump port it?
Yes.
3) What size of carb?
650 or there abouts.

4) are there cams for this specific application? or is there one that will work that is readily available?
You can have Comp Cams grind a cam for forced induction application.
I used a wide lobe center of 115 on mine.
5) should I plane the head at all to boost compression?
You do not need anymore compression for a blower

6) and what are you gernal suggestions as I am the young guy, new on the block, and eager to learn from the people that are wiser than me,

Found this camshaft

http://schneidercams.com/295HchevyI6hydraulic.aspx

Cam is a bit big on the duration side for only wanting to go 10 lbs of boost,plus lobe center is too tight/close.
What HP are you looking to achieve?
Really need more info to answer correctly,so those are just somewhat of general answers.MBHD

I appreciate your replies and feed back

12 port SDS EFI
A
Contributor
Contributor
A

S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
thats is awesome! you used an Eaton M90? looks identical to mine, do you mind divulging some info on your setup?

Okay back to basics, lets pretend this is what I did for now,

stock head

stock cam

stock pistons

5psi boost

headers

650cfm carb

electronic ignition

Is this engine going to stay together, I have read that the stock pistons can take 7psi, and what might a horsepower estimation be? I really don't have a goal for a HP number, right for now, as long as it is more than stock.

forgive me if I sound young and unwise......as I am, and If I need a mental slap in the head feel free to give me one LOL

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
You can still blow apart your pistons with 5 psi of boost pressure if it detonates.
Install one of these kits to ease your mind on the piston issue.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-injection-kits-1/pontiac-25/3800-stage-2-50.html

With 5 PSI maybe 170-200 HP @ the wheels,, just a guess though.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
yes thats what I was thinking of installing, I have a small budget as of now, but eventually I would build the engine properly to make it handle 10psi of boost. I will be putting this engine in my 1981 Cutlass Supreme. I love inlines and was wanting to do something different with a cutlass, because everyone puts a 350 in them or a big block.

I am unsure of the year, it is not an Integral head, that is all I know for now, I am picking the engine up next weekend.......how do I determine what year the engine is?

p.s. how much HP is Pappy's putting to the rear wheels?

Last edited by Super250; 02/22/09 08:41 PM.
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I had a 250 in an 81 Malibu for a short while. It is a tight fit, lengthwise, but it does fit. I used motor mount plates off an early 80's Chevy truck 250, and the stock small block Chevy motor mounts in the stock location on the frame. Your Cutlass may have different rubber mounts and locations, because it's probably got an Olds 307.

Go for it. It will be different, and turn heads at the shows. The best part about it is the knowledge that you'll gain from doing something different, and doing it yourself.

Last edited by crazyman; 02/22/09 08:45 PM.
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
actually it has a chevy 267, some of the oldsmobiles in canada came with chevy engines, thanx for the info! Everyone I tell about this thinks I am nuts except my 2 uncles and one friend lol

my Uncle in New Zealand has a 72 Holden Torana XU1 with a 202" 6 with tripple sidedraught Dell'Ortos, is putting about 225Hp to the ground

P.S.

crazy man, did you use the stock fan on the engine? was there room or did you have to use an electric fan? I plan on running 2 electric fans

Last edited by Super250; 02/22/09 09:09 PM.
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Hey Super250:
Welcome to the "brotherhood of inliners".
If you do a search for "supercharged 250 chev" thread starting on 5/16/08, i think a lot of your questions will be answered.
I think in another thread, i read that lump ports would not be greatly beneficial in a forced induction engine. I haven't had mine on a dyno, but i think MBHD's guess about the horsepower would be pretty close.
If you still got questions, this forum's where to get them answered: these guys been there, done that! on any inliner question or problem.

Good luck with your project, keep us posted with photos.

Pappy

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
If I remember correctly, I used a stock 4 blade unit, no shroud.
That was over 10 years ago.

S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
thank you crazy man, much appreciated

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 39 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod