Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Hello! I'm putting a 3 on the tree with o/d in my 56 4dr driver. I have a question about the kickdown switch thing on the carb. Does it have any special functions, or is it just a micro switch that's not so micro? I'd like to just put a micro switch under the dash that actuates off the gas pedal, but I don't know if it will do what the car needs it to.

Thanks,
Rick

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
The kick down switch usually goes in the floor underneath the gas pedal. If you use a micro switch you will probably need to use a relay with it to handle the current of the O/D solenoid.

56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Good. I was not looking forward to finding one of those switches or fabricating a bracket that didn't look like, well that I built it instead of chip foose. I have spare parts for nitrous systems in abundance which are easy to hide.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The kick downs I've worked with are actuated from the throttle linkage. They break the ground from the governor on the trans so the solenoid retracts and it momentarily shorts the ignition so it is easier for the paul to unlock the planetary gears. Any way you can accomplish those two things will work.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I finally got my wiring diagram book again. I think I can use a microswitch and a relay to do the same thing as the big switch. Thanks for your input guys.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When you get it working don't forget to show it to us!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
That switch is really 2 switches in 1, but your wiring diagram should keep you straight.
Bob

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I just finished one on my 56. I put it under the floorboard with a lever that actuates the plunger on the switch. I put a cable back to the accelerator so when I jump on it the lever pushes the plunger. I haven't driven it yet (have to finish adjust lifters/valves and time it) - hopefully before the week is out I'll know if it works

Tom
I.I. #1475
56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
 Originally Posted By: goldstar
That switch is really 2 switches in 1, but your wiring diagram should keep you straight.
Bob

Yep. I think you have to tap off the normally on and normally off posts on your standard relay to get everything to work properly.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement