Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49632 04/29/09 11:32 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Does anybody know where I can get one of these critters? Ive got to lose the fan and old water pump to make room for the hood to shut. Also what's the best way to go for an electric fan?

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
The shortened pumps that people refer to are for the 235/261 type engines.

I have a 194 in a '53 car, and it fits with mech fan and the radiator in the stock location, however, it is pretty tight and I will need to pull the radiator should I ever need to take the fan blade off.

I took a look at the 292 in my garage, and it looks like you could press the hub down about 3/8". Problem is, what to use for a pulley? The difference in pulley depth between a short and long pump V8 is more than 3/8", which means you wouldn't be able to press the pump down far enough to use the shorter long pump V8 pulley. I know there are different dampers used over the years on the 292 family of engines. If one of those dampers happens to have the groove in the right spot, you may still be able to make the combination work???
Remember, when pressing down the hub, support the end of the shaft, do NOT support it by the impeller.

Or you could just move the radiator forward. Don't forget to trim the cross support under the hood. Or get a custom radiator that's a little shorter...

There is a Inliners member in northern WI that has a 292 in a '51 or '52?? convertible, but I'm not sure what he did to get it in there.

I.I. #3174
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Yeah, I'll take another look, but jus don't think I can make it clear without doing something different.

S
SOB Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Fellow in Wisconsin is: Bob Klessig, e-mail:kustoms@charter.net
His 52 Chev conv. is HOT!
Good Luck SOB

Bill Mulholland (SOB)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available