Rate Thread
#4174 07/07/04 02:45 AM
D
dr tile Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
hi everybody , is it possible to have a shut off valve inline in one of the heater hoses to prevent circulation through the heater core unless you are using the heater . i have an old type of heater (just a box with the core and a fan) . it does put out a little heat without turning on the fan . doesn't the water have to circulate through the two hoses ?

#4175 07/07/04 03:15 AM
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
If you take the heater hose off the heater core that goes from the thermostat housing and plug it directly into the water pump. I did the same thing because the copper fitting on my heater core seperated. Then you can hook the hose back up in the winter time when its cold.

#4176 07/07/04 03:46 AM
D
dr tile Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
well it is needed all year around here in the city by the bay. i saw a shutoff on ebay but couldn't see how it shut off and still kept the water returning to the engine .

#4177 07/07/04 04:13 AM
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
I got mine from "Vintage Auto Parts"

http://www.vapinc.com/chevy/Heater%20Valves/main.html

I got the cable opperated. It mounts right at the water neck and you can adjust the amount of hot water by a cable and a knob at your dashboard.

Installs in 5 minutes - works great.

I don`t recomend the automatic (and more expensive) shutoff valves that mount at the firewall. Most of the time they dont work the way you want em to work and verry offen you get wet feet. ;\)

Frank

To old to die young.
#4178 07/07/04 06:14 AM
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
 Quote:
Originally posted by dr tile:
hi everybody , is it possible to have a shut off valve inline in one of the heater hoses to prevent circulation through the heater core unless you are using the heater . i have an old type of heater (just a box with the core and a fan) . it does put out a little heat without turning on the fan . doesn't the water have to circulate through the two hoses ?
I'm assuming a 194-292 engine. If not you'll have to check this out.
These engines have a bypass; either internal or a seperate hose.
So they don't need the heater as a flowpath.(Remember heater deletes?)
Take a walk through a junkyard and look for 70-80's GM cars with A/C and I think most have a vacuum operated valve. You should be able to adapt to cable operation or you'd have to come up with a valve arrangement to operate the valve.
OTOH: I've seen guys just screw a regular 1/2"(?) threaded valve into the thermostat housing and then the hose nipple into valve. Works, but of course a long reach from drivers seat.
Besides the fan do you have a lever for "heat"?
The damper probably had a seal which may be bad allowing heat to leak in. Maybe it's easier to fix seal?

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
#4179 07/08/04 02:13 AM
D
dr tile Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
the motor is a 250.and no i dont have a lever for heat.just in and out hoses . i'm just not sure if the water needs to circulate or if it is ok to shut it down on one hose . then theres the ? of which hose to shut down. i should look at the origin of my hoses and get back to you . thanks for the input on that valve in the junkers .

#4180 07/08/04 10:54 PM
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
If you have a patient counter man at an auto parts store you can get either a 5/8" or 3/4"
( depending on the size of the hose )heater temp control valve that simply splices into the hose and operates by a cable. You don't have to hook up a cable if you don't want to but it might be a pain opening the hood to turn it open or closed without a cable. I got one for the original heater in my 37 Chevy and it is 5/8" inlet and outlet and I seem to recall it actually was for a 69 to 71 Ford pick up truck and cost about $11.00.

The actual original application doesn't really matter and you would be surprised to know that there are a bunch of different configurations in straight through and 90 degree in both single hose size and some valves have one spud of each hose size. A friendly parts counter guy who can still use a catalog is the key.

And finally it doesn't hurt a thing to have the valve closed if you don't want water circulating through the heater.

Mike G #4355
#4181 07/09/04 12:21 AM
D
dr tile Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
thanks for the tip ,off to the parts store i go.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available