Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1lowlyf Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Ok I got the motor running noticed the harmonic balancer shaking and it is crooked.I ordered another one but not sure how to remove and install new one.the motor is from a 1968 camaro.please help ,I am almost ready for its maiden voyage if i can get this fixed.
Thank you in advance

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
You need a harmonic balancer removal tool to remove the balancer. You should be able to rent one at your auto parts store. There maybe a bolt and large washer holding the balancer on. IF there is no bolt you may want tap the end of the crank for one. IIRC it is a 7/16-28. You can then use the threaded hole to put the balancer on with. Get a long bolt and thread it in at least 7/16 before putting pressure to the balancer. An alternative would would be to (I catch for this, but it works for me) hammer it on with a block of wood and hammer. YOU NEVER HIT OUTSIDE THE RUBBER RING!!! Doing so will destroy the balancer. Before installing double check that the timing mark on the old and new match relative to the key way. Don't forget to replace to the seal.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
When you think it ain't gonna come off, that's when it comes off.
Does it help to throw some WD-40 on there the night before, just to loosen things up?

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
If I feel like it's not moving, and the screw on the balance remover is getting tough to turn, I'll give the end of the screw a good wack with a hammer. That's usually enough to jar it free.

The only thing I use wd-40 for is displace water and build up a paraffin coating. I don't know if any penetrator would would work on a press fit. If I was going to try anything I'd use Gibbs or Kroil.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
PB Blaster work Ok also.
Kroil is good also,I use that on Gulfstreams.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
7/16-20 is the thread size used on SBC crank snout. BBC is 1/2-20. You'll need threads if you plan to draw the new damper on with an installation tool or alloy all-thread. Otherwise gentle heat then drive on with a big dead blow hammer. I've read stories about aftermarket dampers having undersize bores. It wouldn't hurt to measure your new one and compare to your crank snout. I'm guessing 0.0005-0.001 diametral interference would be appropriate. Anyone know a spec for this interference fit better than my guess?

Contributor
Contributor
You can also get your balancer rebuilt:

http://www.dalemfg.com $95

or sell your old one as a core ($40?), buy another ($135)at

http://www.damperdoctor.com

I'm about to send my 292 balancer to dale mfg.

1lowlyf Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for all the replys.Got the balancer off yesterday.autozone of all places had it in two hours.it was a press on pulley no threads.I used a brass hammer and slowly tapped it on in 10 minutes.runs great.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (53chevy), 161 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available