Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51764 08/21/09 07:22 PM
G
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
Alright, I can't seem to find casting number info for this engine anywhere online.

I have what I was told was a 250 out of a 72 Nova and I am trying to figure out for sure what I have.

the casting number close to the distributor reads: 3994257 under that is stamped "GM 72" Back towards the bellhousing is stamped "L141" and then "CCN2"

If anyone can find out what I have please post it for me!

Thanks

Jason

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
That's what it is 72, 250. Should have tapered seat sparkplugs.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
G
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
Thanks! it does have the tapered seat plugs.

What's getting me weirded out is with the engine mounts, I bought a set of mounts off a later 250 to mount it in my 81 Monte.

The mounts are flat on the side the bolts to the engine, but on the drivers side the block has the top mount ear recessed more then the bottom two. I don't know if there was a difference in engine brackets or casting of the mounting bosses between years.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks again for digging up the info to confirm what I have here!

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I seem to remember a steel spacer went behind one of the bolts on the original mounts on my 292. Made from bored through round stock.

'38 Stude/292
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I'm not familiar with the 250 I run a 292. The spacers Sam refers to are on the passenger side. There is a difference between passenger car mounts and truck mounts that has been discussed. You might want to try and do a search of the forums to see what you come up with. If the local search doesn't work for you can go to google and type in - keywords site:inliners.org and come up with a little more info each results. There were some pics showing the differences. Hope that helps.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
G
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
It does help quite a bit.

What got me questioning the year was because of the mount issue, I had wondered if I ended up with a 230 or 194 that had different mounting bosses then a later 250.

I think these mounts came out of a 81 C-10 with a 250 so that might explain some fitment issues. I may have to dig around a junk yard and find a Nova or Camaro that still has the engine and mounts sitting in there and see what I can figure out. I have no trouble making a spacer for that 3rd bolt if that's all I have to do, I just need the engine to sit nice and evenly on the frame mounts of the car.

Inline's didn't come in G bodies in America or Canada.(78-88 Monte's, Malibu, Camino's, Regal's etc..) But they did come in these cars down in Mexico and South America, unfortunately I'll probably never get to see one of these in person to see just how everything is set up!

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
My 230 from a '69 camaro has that indented mount pad on the driver side. I made my mounts out of flat plate and some 2 x 1 channel iron. I used an old Craftsman socket as a spacer!! I have the original engine mounts if that will help you. The driver side is 'molded' with that configuration to fit. Perley

Every purchase has it's price!

Smile - It makes people wonder what you are thinking!

Perley

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 26 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available